Sony F750 vs AJHDX-400

Delorme Jean-Marie

hi all

i'm about to film a new short in algeria this winter.

the story takes place in an hospital day/night in a car day/night it's to go to film transfer.

i'm a little experienced with panasonic gammas but not with sony's but i'm curious about the F750 as i cannot rent an F950 for a short!

what is your opinion? between both cameras

are you big with the F750 new hyper gammas

hi

i was told by the rental house in paris "panavision" that they put the hyper gamas in the hdw750 that's why they call it the F750, or i missenderstood. i need to doublecheck this point.

but i did some tests of the F750 during my ajhdx400 prep in june and i was pleased by the hypergammas i saw.

thank you to make me doubt. i need to do more tests.

do you have any opinion between the 2 cam are they comparable or i'm i out?

for cinematic production and film transfer i would strongly recommend to use the sony, if its rather sport/action and HD 720 broadcast the panasonic might be a good choice.

why?

for cinematic release, one shouldn´t go below 1080p. All digital a- and b-budgets i am aware (zodiac, superman, star wars, miami vice, click, collateral, sky captain, sin city, apocalypto etc) are 1080p. and the sony offers this much higher resolution. 1920*1080 is 2MP, 1280*720 is 1MP.

cinematic is 24/25p,and the 1280*720 at 50/60p is simply half the resolution for film out compared to 1920*1080p.

you can go full 1920*1080p (via HD-SDI) or still 1440*1080 (via internal tape). this is enough for actual 2K and/or 35mm print.

the panasonic doesn´t have 1920*1080 sensors, so you get less spatial resoultion, and that shows on a large theater screen.

On the other hand, the lesser sensorresolution of the panasonic isn´t a problem if you shoot @50, as the 750 will give you 1920*540i and the panasonic 1280*720p, which is the same total resolution.

advantages panasonic: its cheaper, better price/performance, nice workflow with DVCPRO HD laptop editing.

advantage sony (for me a huge one) : colorviewfinder, double resolution.

btw: for cinematic release, if you go sony 750- i would strongly recommend the EU 750, not the US 750. the EU 750 has 25p and we use it since years for cinematic production. the US 750 has, last time i checked, only 30p, and that is quite a bit more complicated for the folks in postproduction to bring to the silverscreen.

and finally-don´t let yourself be talked into the old 900 for a higher price. the 750,900R & 900 have the identical optical system, and the new 900 and 750 have many creative (slowshutter, timelapse...), ergonomic (leightweight, wireless audio, less energy hungry...) and financial (you need less external devices, no converters etc...) advantages. and be sure to get the colorviewfinder if you go 750 or 900R.