Arriflex 16 ST question

stephen defilippi

I just bought an arri 16 ST and i cant figure out what the 2 "lights" on top are for. I havent powered it up yet, no battery. I think the forward one is somehow connected to the shutter, and the rear sits on top of a little "box" which is on the right hand side of the camera, just above the motor.

Also, on the left hand side, beneath the view there is a small stainless steel button which when depressed moves something next to the shutter button in the camera.

I cant find this info in any manual and hoped someone knows here.

Thanks in advance

I just bought an arri 16 ST and i cant figure out what the 2 "lights" on top are for. I havent powered it up yet, no battery. I think the forward one is somehow connected to the shutter, and the rear sits on top of a little "box" which is on the right hand side of the camera, just above the motor.

Also, on the left hand side, beneath the view there is a small stainless steel button which when depressed moves something next to the shutter button in the camera.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Attach an image of your Arri S and I'm sure someone will identify the mystery bits.

Cheers,

Ian Dudley

• Premium Member

Thanks in advance

Without actually seeing the camera it is hard to tell, but it sounds like you have an Arriflex 16S/B-GS. You can find information of this camera in the Arriflex 16S/B manual on the Arri16S.com web site. Here is a link to the free PDF (Look on page 14):

Arriflex 16S/B Manual

If you post a picture, we may be able to help a little more.

-Tim

• Premium Member

Sounds like an 16SB-GS. The lights are part of the start mark, or bloop system. If the system is working (i.e. the bulbs aren't blown out) it will expose (or bloop) the first five frames or so with a light so it's easy to see, when editing and actual work print, shot by shot.

Sometimes it's hard to see where some shots end and some begin if the shot is very static.

You probably also have a pilotone module on the side... You yeally don't need it and you can remove that with four screws and cover up the hole left over. It removes a whole batch of gears from the camera that draw currrent, thus making the camera a bit more power efficient. Also the hole left bu the module is perfect for mounting an XLR4 power connector. I did the same on my ARRI S before I sold it. Just machined a little housing for the XLR4 then wired it up.

- nathan

Ive added the right side view of the "box" and the left side view of the "button" I wrote about. Any ideas?? Thanks

Sorry, im new at this, this is the Right hand side view, beneath the viewer. its a small button with a spike on the other side of the plate which pushes a toggle just rearward of the on/off button. thanks

post-16275-1162056548.jpg

Edited by stephen defilippi

• Premium Member
Ive added the right side view of the "box" and the left side view of the "button" I wrote about. Any ideas?? Thanks

Sorry, im new at this, this is the Right hand side view, beneath the viewer. its a small button with a spike on the other side of the plate which pushes a toggle just rearward of the on/off button. thanks

That is definetly an Arriflex 16SB-GS model I described above. That is the pilotone module.

• Premium Member
Thanks, whats the connection for, is it a power plug in??.

The connection is for connecting the pilot-tone cable that connects the camera to a Nagra tape recorder. To keep them in sync.

-Tim