Modding a Kodak K100 for Super 16?

Richard Scott

Does anyone know about modding a Kodak K100 for Super 16? I've got access to an engineer with a precision machine shop capable of doing it, but wanted to know if anyone has done it and knows about any potential pitfalls.

It should be relatively simple to widen the aperture plate (as was done to another k100 someone posted about last month), but that's got its own potential problems, as the people here posted then. They include: the lens not being properly centered for a Super 16 frame, and the film path potentially scratching the film in the extended part of the frame.

Has anyone had any luck solving those problems?

Thanks!

I recently bought one on ebay that was modded. The lens was not re-centered, and the rollers were not modified. I also wonder about the potential for scratches because of it being originally designed to protect the sound area. A ridge runs down the aperture plate that originally rested against the film between the image area and the optical track/perf area that might scratch the super 16 image, although it has been smoothed in the gate area.

When I received it all of the idler rollers inside were frozen! I carefully removed them and cleaned and lubed their bearings so they spin freely now. It came with two lenses designed for video that (allegedly) have super 16 coverage. Unfortunately, these idler/pressure rollers all touch the emulsion side of the film and are designed like the gate, with a ridge that supports the film in the space between the optical area and the academy image area. Sigh.

I shot a roll of Kodachrome with it last week and will be sending it off this coming Monday. Once I have it transfered, I'll let you know (or perhaps I'll just project it since it's reversal and not terribly important stuff).

Edited by Zachary Vex

• Premium Member

I think the mod that most people do to the K-100 is similar to the K3 mod, basically just widening the gate. I wonder how much of the frame is covered by those c-mount lenses.

While I love my K-100, it's hard for me to still use it because of focusing issues. I rarely have enough time to guess distances correctly.

I got a reflex lens for it, but its so bulky with it on that I'd just rather use my K3 or Scoopic.

I think the mod that most people do to the K-100 is similar to the K3 mod, basically just widening the gate. I wonder how much of the frame is covered by those c-mount lenses.

While I love my K-100, it's hard for me to still use it because of focusing issues. I rarely have enough time to guess distances correctly.

What about the viewfinder?

Stick to a 10mm. The Angie doesn't focus anyway.

Guest Ian Marks

Zach, it sounds like the K100 you bought didn't quite live up to its description. I believe that same seller is now selling one or two more like it.

I do think it would be easier to recenter the lens mount on one of single lens (non turret) K100s, like the one I have, which I currently have fitted with a 17-85 f3.8 Pan Cinor with built-in finder (a bit scarce). It's a tidy package because the lens is fairly small (it takes little Series 7 filters, about 52mm in diameter). I'd love to have the camera properly modified to Super 16 (including lens recentering) and see what it could do with that lens.

BTW, I e-mailed that seller asking whether the lens mounts were centered for Super 16, and he never responded.

The one I bought has a single lens, not a turret. It most definitely was not re-centered. The seller was very vague about this in the listing and in the answers to my questions. I purchased mine on ebay and right now, that seller doesn't have any up that I can find.

It didn't exactly live up to my expectations, but if it can shoot film without scratching the emulsion, and the coverage is complete without noticable distortion, I'll be happy to use it for it's intended purpose... a crash camera. 8^)

Edited by Zachary Vex