angenieux 20-120 sharp lens?

daniel mahlknecht

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'm interested in this lens on ebay, but as I have heared that Angenieux Lenses tend to be a little soft, I wanted to ask if this is thrue for this lens too.

(I would use it mainly on P+S mini35 adapter)

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...IT%3A1&rd=1

thanks

daniel

Hi,

It's not a very good lens (IMHO quite expensive right now). If you want an old Zoom then get a Cooke 20-100, a far better lens.

Stephen

It seems there is who is accusing this old motion picture glass of breathing hassles:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=7...amp;postcount=4

Including more breathing than in any modern still quality glass? About softness, I already read something related. But that's the first time I heard this new one, so a real surprise on my own. Is there any reviews in order to confirm or not such opinion?

• Premium Member
It seems there is who is accusing this old motion picture glass of breathing hassles:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=7...amp;postcount=4

Including more breathing than in any modern still quality glass? About softness, I already read something related. But that's the first time I heard this new one, so a real surprise on my own. Is there any reviews in order to confirm or not such opinion?

Emanuel,

The lens refered to is a 25-250, a real vingnetting pile of crxx. I used the glass from one as a prop, I felt I was doing the world a service by destroying one!

I do have a 20-120 at home that I can check out later this week.

Stephen

Hi Stephen!

Thank you for your care. Actually, I known a rental house with an offer like that (12-120) for ?200. And they already have a customer if I will give up on their used glass (when I'm going to buy I dislike this word: used). They just call me 30 minutes ago leaving a message in my voice mail just to know my answer. They need to have it. So, I should call them tomorrow morning or no longer than tomorrow. If it will be possible to you to check this before, great. If not, I'm afraid there will be other offers like those coming from this rental company or like that above-mentioned @e-bay. It seems you buy yours there, isn't it? Or it was your Cooke, right?

A sharp Cooke 20-60 would be what I'm looking for. Or instead a longer one but not a soft Angie like those user reports are claiming.

What is it possible to shoot with a soft lens? If it was only at the corners... Just 'cause my use will be for magnification factor work (S35 RED sensor and not full 35mm), maybe it could be a possibility. But only if... We will see.

Although heavy (circa 5kg.s/11lbs) especially vs. the 7lbs or less for the upcoming RED zoom lens, I'm not sure yet if I buy or not. I would if I will shoot with or for rental or something similar use. But only if it won't be useless which is unfortunately my bet. With such new glass and lightweight gear, it's difficult to handle with old and heavy lenses.

With such bad reports I've been heard more often, if confirmed I dunno any more nor any reason for an useless purchase.

Cheers,

Emanuel

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen!

Thank you for your care. Actually, I known a rental house with an offer like that (12-120) for ?200. And they already have a customer if I will give up on their used glass (when I'm going to buy I dislike this word: used). They just call me 30 minutes ago leaving a message in my voice mail just to know my answer. They need to have it. So, I should call them tomorrow morning or no longer than tomorrow. If it will be possible to you to check this before, great. If not, I'm afraid there will be other offers like those coming from this rental company or like that above-mentioned @e-bay. It seems you buy yours there, isn't it? Or it was your Cooke, right?

A sharp Cooke 20-60 would be what I'm looking for. Or instead a longer one but not a soft Angie like those user reports are claiming.

What is it possible to shoot with a soft lens? If it was only at the corners... Just 'cause my use will be for magnification factor work (S35 RED sensor and not full 35mm), maybe it could be a possibility. But only if... We will see.

Although heavy (circa 5kg.s/11lbs) especially vs. the 7lbs or less for the upcoming RED zoom lens, I'm not sure yet if I buy or not. I would if I will shoot with or for rental or something similar use. But only if it won't be useless which is unfortunately my bet. With such new glass and lightweight gear, it's difficult to handle with old and heavy lenses.

With such bad reports I've been heard more often, if confirmed I dunno any more nor any reason for an useless purchase.

Cheers,

Emanuel

Hi Emanuel,

200 euro is about right IMHO,may rather cost more for PL mount!

I have a Cooke 20-60 & a Cooke 20-100, both produce beautiful images, usable wide open and very good from T4. Minimal breathing.

The 20-60 is relatively small & light, I understand cost $30,000 + when new.

I am not yet back home so I cant check the Arg. but it's nothing special.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I thought there would be any beef with that lens and there was: a fungus. I don't know if there is a good medecine to that or not but as I posted I'd rather be with new gear instead used glass. But I'm grateful anyway for your effort. I will link your info @dvxuser.com. There are other people interested in such information like that coming from yours helpfully. Once again, thank you.

Emanuel

Edited by Mr. Emanuel A. Guedes

• Premium Member
Thanks Stephen. I thought there would be any beef with that lens and there was: a fungus. I don't know if there is a good medecine to that or not but as I posted I'd rather be with new gear instead used glass. But I'm grateful anyway for your effort. I will link your info @dvxuser.com. There are other people interested in such information like that coming from yours helpfully. Once again, thank you.

Emanuel

Emanuel,

Don't ever try to remove fungus from a lens, get rid of it quickly! There is a real risk of other lenses you own getting infected!

I guess I will put my 20-120 lens on Ebay when Red releases their camera!

Stephen

I'm interested in this lens on ebay, but as I have heared that Angenieux Lenses tend to be a little soft, I wanted to ask if this is thrue for this lens too.

(I would use it mainly on P+S mini35 adapter)

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...IT%3A1&rd=1

I came across a 1976 ad in Variety for ECE/Technovision.

It had a production still of shooting Visconti's 'L'Innoccente'.

The three cameras( a Mitchell 205 [late model white and maroon BNCR] and two arri IICs with ECE "fellini" doors, all on Worrell heads) each had an angie 20-120mm, obviously with a rear anamorphot.

Later technovision switched to Cookes.

• Premium Member
Don't ever try to remove fungus from a lens, get rid of it quickly! There is a real risk of other lenses you own getting infected!

There is a commercial bactericide/viruscide/fungicide/mildewcide Nolvasan that is 100% effective at killing single cell organisms, fortunately while leaving multicell organisms pretty much alone (AKA: you and me). I suspect that if one complete disassembled a lens and soaked its components in Nolvasan it would kill the fungus for good. Obviously you'd have to have a lens tech perform the operation and probably it wouldn't be worth it for a cheap lens.

A slight thread hijack: I've got a small 35-140mm T4.4 Angenieux zoom in Arri standard that seems pretty sharp on my camera - am I deluding myself?

• Premium Member
Obviously you'd have to have a lens tech perform the operation and probably it wouldn't be worth it for a cheap lens.

A slight thread hijack: I've got a small 35-140mm T4.4 Angenieux zoom in Arri standard that seems pretty sharp on my camera - am I deluding myself?

Hi Hal,

Finding a lens tech to touch the lens will be the problem!

I am sure your lens will be quite sharp if you stop down to T8.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Finding a lens tech to touch the lens will be the problem!

Stephen

Admittedly this is rather arcane, but if the tech took the lens apart under water in a Nolvasan solution there would be virtually no chance of further contamination - of their shop or themselves.

I used to own Silver Persian cats. They're very susceptible to fungus since they are genetically an imperfect albino. Bathing the cats in Nolvasan and spotting myself where a little fungus spot had popped up killed it quickly - and thoroughly - and it never came back. Nolvasan really is awesome stuff.

A further point: the fungus that one finds on cats fluoresces a bright light blue under UV light - if it's there you see the fungus. I don't have a lens with fungus but if someone wants to send me a lens with fungus in it I'll take a peek with UV and see if lens fungus fluoureses. Going to all this trouble for an old, poor quality lens wouldn't be worth it - but if I owned an elderly Cooke zoom with fungus, I'd be willing to go to some length to save it.