Sync Sound with SR2

Pritesh Chheda

From what I hear, the quietest 16mm cameras available these days are the Arri SR models and the Aaton LTR/XTR models, with specific quietness varying from camera to camera depending on age, condition, etc.

If you're worried about it being extra quiet, you could always cover the camera with a sound barney.

-Chance

just bring along a small furniture blanket (or steal some crew member's jacket) to wrap the camera if it's too loud. Usually it's not the camera that makes the noise, but the mag, or that little gear that drives the mag, so if you cover that up, everything should be fine.

But these cameras are about as quiet as they get, assuming it's properly maintained and the mags are loaded correctly.

• Premium Member

Just shot a short with an ARRI SRI that had been fitted out with SR3 nylon mag gears. Seemed real quiet to me, (especially after having used a Bolex EBM!) But unfortunately we were shooting in a small intimate place and a few very quiet scenes, and we did pick up the camera noise. Wish I had thrown my leather jacket over the camera, probably would have solved the problem.

As it is, we ran all the sound (that had the camera noise on it) through a program made by Bias called SoundSoap. Did a pretty good job. Have played around with the SoundSoap Pro version and it seems to do a very good job.

So I think the camera is fine for doing sound sync, just take the precaution of having a packing blanket or leather jacket handy and make sure your sound person does a check before you shoot too much footage.

-Tim