What kind of projects are using 16mm?

David Leugers

I shoot lots of shorts in Film school with an Eclair NPR and also my personal Arri S. I shoot music Videos and short films. I'd like to use 16mm for more extreme sports, as surfing and snowboarding, but it's hard to find people to finance such a venture.

kirk

David, if you go to see Babel, most of the scenes set in Morocco are shot on 16mm.

Here in Italy most of the tv series are shot on 16mm: I've worked for ten months on one of the most popular series here and we only used 16mm (Vision2 7217, 7201, 7218).

Anyone using 16mm in the industrial film arena? etc.

Is in english the term "industrial film" used like the german "Industriefilm"? which could be called "corporate-film", I think this stuff is mostly done on video or HD these days, it's a pity, being a foundfootage-addict I love these 50'ies and 60'ies industrial-films that where mostly shot on 16mm back then...

In europe most TV-Films are shot in S16mm, till the second half of the 90'ies most german TV-series (even soaps and sitcoms) where 16mm, then soaps became more and more video, series continued on film, but with 16/9 most of them went S16mm I guess, now they're more and more done in Video or HD, and in my opinion not very well shot, in a very videoish way...

lot of filmschoolstuff, short-movies and music-videos are shot in 16mm or S16mm. Surf- skate- and snowboardmmovies are often a mix of DV, Super8 and 16mm, where film gives the option for Slow-motion...

I love to shoot my holiday-films in 16mm :D :D :D

In Nepal, the mainstream feature films are being shot on regular 16mm.

Deepak, are the films then shown in the 4:3 aspect ratio of regular 16mm or are

the images cropped for more of a wide screen presentation? Very interesting that

features are being shot on regular 16mm.

I love to shoot my holiday-films in 16mm biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Me too! I like to use one of my B+H Filmo 70DR cameras with some fast film stock

to be free to roam and shoot. Lots of fun!

• Premium Member

In the U.S. features, TV, commercials, and music videos are all shot on 16mm from time to time. I did a feature this year on S16 and one last year, as well as multiple music videos in the same time frame. Sometimes 16mm is utilized for the look and sometimes budget is the main factor. S16 looks so good now when it's not being printed (and even when it is!) that it makes a lot of sense in a lot of situations. I love shooting S16.

Deepak, are the films then shown in the 4:3 aspect ratio of regular 16mm or are

the images cropped for more of a wide screen presentation? Very interesting that

features are being shot on regular 16mm.

Ofcourse to shoot on regular 16mm is because of the limited budget, few features were shot on super 16 as well.

Regular 16mm films are composed for 4:3 blownup to 35mm projected in the same aspect ratio in many of the old cinema theatres. In few of the theatres it is shown on 1.85:1.

The weird concept of showing the 4:3 composed movie anywhere from 2:1 to 2.3:1 ratio by some movie theatres also in practise. Some of the very socalled clever projectionists from India came and installed the relatively short focal length lens to cover the width of cinemascope screen and made the apertureplate accordingly to crop top and bottom to fit that screen which demanded the much more enlargement of the picture hence resulted in very poor image quality. May be the newthing for the rest of the world.