Group Project Anyone?

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

I thought it might be interesting if members of this forum who live near each other got together for some type of super-8 project. One project that I think would be a hoot would be to take your favorite "filmed" TV show and see if you could shoot additional shots and see if you could intercut them into a scene.

If any of you have any friends that look like a television star that could make it that much more realistic.

The idea would be to take an existing scene from an existing television show and see if it's possible to insert a shot or two into a squence. Sound would be a non-issue since the scene's sound would remain intact.

Group projects can cover other areas but I thought it might be interesting to find other filmmakers near you and see if by combing resources a simply venture could be attempted. Not having to deal with sound, just picture, makes this idea slightly less complex.

• Premium Member

I think it would be interesting to take the same short story and see how different people interpret it.

It would make a great feature project that could be show in festivals.

Keep it short so more people can join in.

• Premium Member
I think it would be interesting to take the same short story and see how different people interpret it.

It would make a great feature project that could be show in festivals.

Keep it short so more people can join in.

This is very interesting. Write a script that is devoid of any sluglines or actions, only dislogue. See how various people interpret it, where they set it, direct it, shoot it, et cetera. I and several other people did something like this for a class. Our script was a page and a half so it could be shot in an afternoon.

Hey, that's my idea from a while back. I would still love to see folks do it. Yes, a plain Jane script is what you need, sort of.

Something like

INT., PARKED CAR, DAY

James

So Sally, what did you think?

Sally

Well, it was a little undercooked for me.

Etc.

The Producer/Director decides what car, where it is, how the folks are dresssed, is it 1932 or 2062, who is in the drivers seat, anything else in the car, camera angles, lighting, accents of the characters, backstory, style - Noir, SciFi, Doc, French New Wave, etc.

This would be especially fun for international folks. I would love to see how someone from China would shoot this as well as Australia or Austria, etc. The soundtrack would also be most interesting.

We discussed doing this at DVInfo.net some time ago. What I would REALLY love to see is big name directors do this, like Ron Howard and David Lynch, etc. Can you imagine the different takes on the same scene? Should be enlightening to us all.

Let me know if anyone does this. I might like to be in on it too.

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

This is very interesting. Write a script that is devoid of any sluglines or actions, only dislogue. See how various people interpret it, where they set it, direct it, shoot it, et cetera. I and several other people did something like this for a class. Our script was a page and a half so it could be shot in an afternoon.

I think this is also one of the Project Greenlight challenges.

• Premium Member

Let's get a show of hands here:

Who's interested?

Let's list our names and location.

Maybe some people can buddy up.

Once we see how many "Teams" we have, we can begin deliberating on a script of some sort.

1) Bill Totolo - Los Angeles

I'm a guy from san francisco with too much time on my hands. I tried to get in on super 8 cities, but Machi never got back to me. I'm game to cut up some sweet old school shows, kinda like the Spike jonze video for Weezer's Buddy Holly. I call dibbs on "Small Wonder" or a show of lesser or equal value.

anyone checked out the IMDB for "Be Kind, Rewind"? you guys might be into it.

kirk

• Premium Member
I'm a guy from san francisco with too much time on my hands. I tried to get in on super 8 cities, but Machi never got back to me. I'm game to cut up some sweet old school shows, kinda like the Spike jonze video for Weezer's Buddy Holly. I call dibbs on "Small Wonder" or a show of lesser or equal value.

anyone checked out the IMDB for "Be Kind, Rewind"? you guys might be into it.

kirk

I had nothing to do with Super-8 cities and I don't recall ever getting an email from you because I would have let you know that.

• 2 weeks later...

Naturally, I'm in. Sean McHenry - Ohio - "The heart of it all" Midwest.

I'm not checking these boards daily so if we get a final concept or idea, let me know via e-mail and I'm in. Should be something we can do on a single reel or maybe 2? Simple scene.

If you want I can write the 1 page or so of generic script. You folks can approve it, or have someone else write a simple scene. Certain aspects should be defined like DAY or NIGHT, INT or EXT and so on so we use similar but not exactly the same lighting.

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com