Anyone shooting Super Duper Anamorphic 8?

Bjarne Eldhuset

Hi, I have a question that might be answered a dozen times before, but I'll ask anyway:

1. An article by Martin W. Baumgarten in the super8wiki says that anamorphic formats has the following approximate projection aspect ratios

1.5x lens = 2:1 format

1.75x lens = 2.25:1 format

2x lens = 2.66:1 format

2. An article by Rick Palidwor on the Sleep Always website says that filing the film gate to Super Duper 8 gives an extra 13% of image on the right-hand side of the film frame when looking in the viewfinder.

3. All this seems great, but is it possible to combine them and shoot anamorphic super duper 8? If not, why not, and if so, are there any problems to it?

Hope to hear your advice, as it would be cool to both shoot anamorphic and to have the extra amount of the picture.

Regards, Bjarne, Oslo, Norway.

Hi, I have a question that might be answered a dozen times before, but I'll ask anyway:

1. An article by Martin W. Baumgarten in the super8wiki says that anamorphic formats has the following approximate projection aspect ratios

1.5x lens = 2:1 format

1.75x lens = 2.25:1 format

2x lens = 2.66:1 format

2. An article by Rick Palidwor on the Sleep Always website says that filing the film gate to Super Duper 8 gives an extra 13% of image on the right-hand side of the film frame when looking in the viewfinder.

3. All this seems great, but is it possible to combine them and shoot anamorphic super duper 8? If not, why not, and if so, are there any problems to it?

Hope to hear your advice, as it would be cool to both shoot anamorphic and to have the extra amount of the picture.

Regards, Bjarne, Oslo, Norway.

bump^^

i hope somebody would answer this. it sounds interesting.

I have gotten some answers to this on the cinematograpy.com super 8-forum.

The main answer I got was that this would be too wide for most use, but would still be fun to test:

If I'm not mistaken, Super-duper 8's aspect ratio is about 1:78:1, and if you multiply that by the 2x of the anamorphic lens, you'd get almost 3.6:1.

Check the thread here and see if you agree!

Regards, Bjarne, Oslo, Norway

I have gotten some answers to this on the cinematograpy.com super 8-forum.

The main answer I got was that this would be too wide for most use, but would still be fun to test:

Check the thread here

It's not 1.78/1, it's only 1.55/1. 2x would still be too wide, but 1.5x would be fine.

The problem is the viewfinder. The anamorph will not cover the wide end of the zoom.

If your finder cuts off part of the frame, you won't see where the vignetting starts.