Nagra 4.2

Bill DiPietra

Not dead and buried, but definately a code 3 headed for the emergency room. The tendency is troward a digital workflow so Fostex' are now the most commonly used machine for sound aquisition. But I for one will probably use my Nagra until no one will transfer analog any more. Anyway, why rent one? You can buy one relitively inexpensively. B)

• Premium Member

(to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic) (A bit off post - but it was fun writing it :) )

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Going of the Analog Machine

It's Been Trampled On By ADC's and Megabytes and Bits

The HD's, P2's, DAT's, and Flash Have Tried to Kill it Off

But Nagra Records On!

Glory! Glory! Ampex Mylar Master Tape! Glory! Glory! Ampex Mylar Master Tape!

Glory! Glory! Ampex Mylar Master Tape! While Nagra Records On!

(to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic) (A bit off post - but it was fun writing it :) )

But Nagra Records On!

LOL Still got my Nagra 4.2. It hasn't been used for quite a while, because all double system sound has been digital. Those Nagras were built to last!

• Premium Member
Not dead and buried, but definately a code 3 headed for the emergency room.

LOL! Good analogy for an EMT B)

Yeah, I remember when even the used ones were rather expensive before the DAT (and all of the other new digital toys) took over. I'm looking into purchasing one, now. Maybe it's me, but nothing beats that warm sound.

Thanks.

LOL! Good analogy for an EMT B)

Yeah, I remember when even the used ones were rather expensive before the DAT (and all of the other new digital toys) took over. I'm looking into purchasing one, now. Maybe it's me, but nothing beats that warm sound.

Thanks.

I figured you'd like that one. :D Definately look into buying one. Ebay's got 'em coming out the wazoo. You'll still pay between 400 and a grand for one but, in MY opionon, (The only one that counts as we all know) It's well worth it if your gonna do more than one movie shot on film. I couldn't afford a 4.2 when I bought my, so I settled for a 4L in good condition and it's GREAT, which is a surprise because a lot of people said I'd have problems with the 4L.

But Nagra Records On!

Dude, that is Hillarious!!! I gotta tell ya though, when I talked about using a Nagra over at Recording.com, those guys acted like I fell out of a tree. I gues that only goes to prove some people have no style! B)

• 1 month later...
Is the Nagra 4.2 dead and buried or is it still being used by small productions? It is still my favorite sound recording device but I am having some difficulty finding it for rent in NYC...

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to start a new topic. My question is: I found a Nagra III for sale at a very decent price. I was interested in using it to give tape compression to already recorded digital tracks on an ADAT. I thought I could take the left track only of the ADAT output, run it into the Nagra at 15 ips, set the input level high enough to get the compression that sounds "right," and simultaneously record it again using "monitor from playback head" into the next blank track of the ADAT. Then I would start over and do the same with the right track, saving it into the next blank track of the ADAT. What I want to know: are the small time variations of the Nagra going to be noticeable and the left and right tracks will diverge, or does the ADAT clock control everything? Because the Nagra is playing back through the reproduce head at the same time that it is recording, so the ADAT should be running everything. Or am I missing something here? I mean, maybe I ought to get a Nagra 4S and not a mono one, but I thought it would be better to have full-track quarter-inch tape than half-track. Has anyone done this?

Thank you,

Lisa