WANTED: DP and Grip for student short

Brett Topey

Hello all,

I'm a first-time poster who has been reading the forums for a while now.

I'm a senior at Princeton University, and I'm looking for a couple of people to help me shoot my thesis film over one week at the end of January. Here is some general information about the project:

It will be a black and white movie, about 20-25 minutes long, and it will take place mostly in a house, with a few scenes in various other places (one in a gun shop, one in a hotel room, a few outside, etc.).

I would like to shoot on super-16, but i may have to shoot on video for budget reasons. (If you own or have access to a film camera, that may help me to be able to shoot on film rather than video.)

As you may have guessed, I will not be able to pay much, if anything. However, if you own a camera or lights, or anything that would save me from having to rent it, I will be happy to pay you a bit for that.

The movie is a dark comedy about a man in the process of going insane. There are dream sequences which the man has more and more trouble separating from reality. He becomes convinced that someone is trying to steal his kidneys, and that everyone he knows is in on the conspiracy.

I have a rough script, if you would like to take a look at it. I also have a 28-minute video short that I made last year for a few hundred dollars, if you would like to see some previous work.

If you have questions, or want to know more about me, or want to see the script or the video short, or just want to express your interest in this project, you can email me at the following address:

btopey@princeton.edu

or call me at

504-952-2735

I look forward to hearing from you.

--Brett Topey

Edited by Brett Topey

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all,

I'm a first-time poster who has been reading the forums for a while now.

I'm a senior at Princeton University, and I'm looking for a couple of people to help me shoot my thesis film over one week at the end of January. Here is some general information about the project:

It will be a black and white movie, about 20-25 minutes long, and it will take place mostly in a house, with a few scenes in various other places (one in a gun shop, one in a hotel room, a few outside, etc.).

I would like to shoot on super-16, but i may have to shoot on video for budget reasons. (If you own or have access to a film camera, that may help me to be able to shoot on film rather than video.)

As you may have guessed, I will not be able to pay much, if anything. However, if you own a camera or lights, or anything that would save me from having to rent it, I will be happy to pay you a bit for that.

The movie is a dark comedy about a man in the process of going insane. There are dream sequences which the man has more and more trouble separating from reality. He becomes convinced that someone is trying to steal his kidneys, and that everyone he knows is in on the conspiracy.

I have a rough script, if you would like to take a look at it. I also have a 28-minute video short that I made last year for a few hundred dollars, if you would like to see some previous work.

If you have questions, or want to know more about me, or want to see the script or the video short, or just want to express your interest in this project, you can email me at the following address:

btopey@princeton.edu

or call me at

504-952-2735

I look forward to hearing from you.

--Brett Topey

Is there any way that you can shorten it from 20-25 minutes to under 20? It'll cost less, you can do

higher quality work with less quantity and some festivals have cut-offs at or below 20 minutes.

Well, I don't have a super-16 camera or any grip equipment (aside from gels and expendibles), but I can certainly grip for whichever DP you may choose. I live very close to Princeton, about 15 minutes away. If it comes down to it, I could certainly DP for you as well.

Good luck w/ the project! Hope to hear from you.

Edited by Matt Hingstman