Rotoscoping

Well, as far as I know, rotoscoping was (is?) done by rear projecting an image onto a screen, putting paper or something on it and tracing the projected image onto the paper, was done at one time to have a cartoon character fight a real cat. That's the old way, nowadays it's done by computer somehow...

How exactly is Rotoscoping done and what is (equpiment ect) involved in creating it? What are it's limitations?

Rotoscoping is animation using filmed footage as a reference. It can be used to create travelling mattes for compositing and colour grading or to match animated characters to human performance.

Pre-digital, rotoscoping was drawn frame-by-frame by projecting the image and drawing over the projected image.

Now most (if not all) rotoscoping is done using the computer.

Hi, i was dping in a small project last year, we make a commercial in a small white studio, the project was a two dancers moving and dancing. We shot the dancers an then the post house use the technic "rotoscopy" in adobe illustrator and animated in adobe after effect.

The video was shot in 30 frames per second but the post house use only 15 frames per seconds. i use a panasonic dvx100a, 2 mini brutus (4K each) on the top with a big overhead silk, 4 2K open face bounced for fill light, and 2 5k. I recommended in my experience shot at 250 shutter speed or more, because when you use (in post) each frame, the frames shot at that shutter are better to use because the borders are clear and the person who draw in ilustrator or other programs don't have problems when people move, here attach few productios photos, hope helps

Xavier Plaza

Director of Photography

post-11257-1163998524.jpg

post-11257-1164002111.jpg

post-11257-1164002174.jpg

post-11257-1164002240.jpg

post-11257-1164002276.jpg

• Premium Member

Generally "rotoscoping" means manually (whether by a hand tracing a projected frame or on a computer) drawing an outline around an object in a frame, frame-by-frame, usually for the purpose of creating a travelling matte around part or all of the object. Usually done when some matting system like chromakey was not used, or the chromakey needs fixing or cleaning up along some edges.