16mm B/W lighting

Hello All,

I have been asked to DP a 1min short in b/w. The whole film is of a man driving in a car at night and the director wants a contrasty, moody sort of feel. The 'master' shot is a mid shot from the front drivers fender and will make up a bulk of the film. My plan is mount a dedo with ND6 or 9 on the dash to simulate dash lights, and a dedo behind the drivers seat as a back light. My questions are, what stock would you suggest, what pitfuls should i watch for and anything to take into consideration shooting b/w as i have never touched it before.

Regards

Daniel Pratt

Hey, I just Dp'd my short film. we shot a billiards game. if you want the whole contrasty thing try a yellow-15 filter or a yellow-2 that should do the trick. and if your shooting at night a ND filter wont help very much.

Thanks Chris,

By the way i didn't mean an ND on the lens i meant on the dedo. even though they're only weak if it's 2ft from the drivers face it might by a little too contrasty.

Cheers dan

Dedo lights are quite sourcey. I'd suggest bouncing it into something- maybe a white card on the dash board or ceiling.

Shooting in black and white, you will also find yourself using a more conventional lighting scheme (ie. key, fill back light) to get proper seperation.

There is not one type of color filter that insures a contrasty image. It all depends on the colors that dominate the scene.

Is the car driving in the city or in the countryside? What do you see in the background? Where are you placing/mounting your camera? Are there source lights coming in from outside? Are you trying to recreate the look of a certain period?

You don't need filters on the camera for a contrasty look, you do this with the lighting.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Chris,

By the way i didn't mean an ND on the lens i meant on the dedo. even though they're only weak if it's 2ft from the drivers face it might by a little too contrasty.

Cheers dan

If you have access to it, I'd suggest Mini KinFlo units... they give a nice little punch (great for eyelight) for a very compact unit. It also comes with an adapter for a car lighter.

I've only shot 7222 with B&W -- and have been very happy with the results. Theres a lot of latitude to play around with, which would help for your (presumed) low lighting for the night scene.

Best of Luck,

BtB