New kind of eBay camera scam

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

This just showed up today, I notified eBay of it, and it might be already taken down by the time you try to link to it, but here is the link:

Latest eBay scam auction (Aaton XTR Prod)

Looks real, but the description did not quite match the picture. No feedback seller immediately raised suspicion. But the real tip off, if you click anywhere on the whole page, you get immediately sent to an email link that is a yahoo account. So when someone goes to "Ask seller a question" it goes to an email address. Odd thing about it, you can't actually bid on the item because anywhere you click on the page, it jumps to the email address.

So someone has obviously hacked eBay's software and can post anything they want for sale. And this shows up when you do a search for Aaton in the eBay search engine.

Just thought I would pass it along,

-Tim

• Premium Member
I just checked it out too, very strange. It seems the scammers have upped the ante again.

Interesting, It came up for me when I used the link here, and there was some javascript to make the would page "clickable". I guess that any attempt to click on it might get you a Phishing site!

I searched and it came up in the ebay USA search, but that link said it was canceled. Perhaps I licked out and got the link just as It was going down. I did read of a cross site problem with e-bay that allowed the crafting of a page that looked like it was on e-bay but was not. I wonder if that is what we are seeing?