newbie telecine question

Richardson Leao

Hi all,

I have about 300m of negs (16mm) to take to telecine. Those are half color half bw. The bw I developed myself, spliced them together with cement and put white leader at the beginning and end of each roll (in thios case, they are simply rolled onto standard projection reels). As I also send some film to the lab (color), they came with a different leader and rolled in a core with an inner diameter (whole) of approx 2cm. Is that OK to take my film as is for telecine (or should I re-roll it in a similar core or get a similar leader)? Many thanks.

Richard

• Site Sponsor
Hi all,

I have about 300m of negs (16mm) to take to telecine. Those are half color half bw. The bw I developed myself, spliced them together with cement and put white leader at the beginning and end of each roll (in thios case, they are simply rolled onto standard projection reels). As I also send some film to the lab (color), they came with a different leader and rolled in a core with an inner diameter (whole) of approx 2cm. Is that OK to take my film as is for telecine (or should I re-roll it in a similar core or get a similar leader)? Many thanks.

Richard

Most telecine preped 16mm film will have more leader on it than when it's for projection due to the longer threading path for a telecine and also because there is no "Auto" thread on a Telecine or film scanner. When we get 16mm film that is either set on a reel for projection or a workprint we wind it down on the bench, leader it, and put it on a 2" core to run on the telecine. This is standard lab practice but I would say just call your lab first . If you prep the film for video you may save a fee.

-Rob-

Always good advice to contact the lab and speak to the tech who would be handling the x-fer for you. Personally if i had anything that had to be re-rolled b4 a x-fer or develop, i would let the lab handle it to be safe. most of this should be included under the "prep-for transfer" parameters and takes only a few minutes.