sr2 video tap framelines

tomas-english

i sincerely apologize for asking a very basic question.

when operating my steadicam using an sr2, sometimes i cannot clearly see the ground glass (suspect there is none) ground glass. there are the "sr2" frame lines (large clear rectangle) if i see a lighting stand/flight case etc just outside the framelines do i need to call it as "in shot" . what if its on the edge of the entire view but whitin the ground glass

in video land i would call anything that came on screen as "in shot" because u never know how messy they re gonna get later with the 16/9 17/14 messy refame etc later (was a bbc editor for 2years)

but in this film malarky... is it gonna be masked in telecine? are these frame lines even accurate?

i ve had conflicting answeres from dop s now...... so this forum is much better

thanx again

• Premium Member

Don't know how much help this will be, but when we shoot with our SR1, we do some funky framing from time to time. We set up a framing chart and shoot that at the head of the first roll. We also have everyone who will be involved at all with the camera there when we shoot the framing chart, the DP, the director, the camera op, gaffer, etc. That way everyone looks at the fiber optics screen and we all agree and sign off on the framing, so we all know what is in and what is out of shot. Then in telecine, we have them frame off the framing shot at the beginning of roll 1 and so far that has worked for us.

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

The Arri SR groundglass shows image outside of the film frame. That extra area is shaded darker and the framelines are clearly marked. If you cannot see them on your Steadicam monitor then you might wish to consider buying an illuminated frameline generator to your rig. Greg Bubb makes a very nice one but they are available from a number of manufacturers.