telecine and film with KS perfs

Richardson Leao

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I 've read a post the other day about the ability of russian 35mm cameras to handle KS perforations (normal in still films), would I have a problem to telecine KS-perforated negatives? Cheers

Richard

Hi,

No. Telecines don't rely on pin registation.

Stephen

I 've read a post the other day about the ability of russian 35mm cameras to handle KS perforations (normal in still films), would I have a problem to telecine KS-perforated negatives? Cheers

What sort of perfs do you think are on prints? positive or negative?

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale

• Premium Member
Prints are ks, but I was just thinking about negatives with KS as in my mind (and maybe i am totally wrong) telecine settings for negs and positives would be different.

Hi,

Telecine is not pin registered so basically ignores the exact shape of the perfs. Focus has to be changed between neg and print on a telecine but thats about all!

FWIW you can order a neg perf step print if you wanted to! (Used for Bi-Pack printing if your interested)

Stephen

I 've read a post the other day about the ability of russian 35mm cameras to handle KS perforations (normal in still films), would I have a problem to telecine KS-perforated negatives?

Are you planning to shoot still film (with KS perfs) ? If you want current negative stocks with KS, I believe you have to buy it on Special Order which can take up to three months, and of course it will be more expensive...

Are you planning to shoot still film (with KS perfs) ? If you want current negative stocks with KS, I believe you have to buy it on Special Order which can take up to three months, and of course it will be more expensive...

I was actually thinking about using 30.5m bulk film (the ones you use in bulk loaders) as they are readly (and cheaply) available, including some amasing ilford stocks.

You can buy motion picture negative with BH-perfs cheaper as re-cans or short ends (unused film that has been in the mag and was put back in the can or short ends of a larger roll, usually about 45-90 metres long).

I had nothing but good experiences with re-cans and short ends, and they definitely were cheaper than 30.5m rolls for still photography.

Besides, 30 metres are very short, you will lose some of the length in threading anyway, so less than a minute shooting time is a little cumbersome (unless you use an Eyemo camera with 30m spools anyway...) :)

Check this link for Re-cans/Short Ends in your location:

Steadisystems

Edited by Christian Appelt