bolex h16 problem

adam berk

• Premium Member

I'm worried about my bolex. When firing a single frame in the mode where the shutter stays open as long as you hold the switch, the shutter doesn't appear to be completely clear of the gate. I just realized this after shooting 600' for my term final! :blink:

Does this sound as if all my film will definitely have a big black slash across each frame? Could it be an issue that only occurs during single frame exposure?

What should I do, who should I call? Ghostbusters?

• Premium Member
I'm worried about my bolex.

What should I do, who should I call? Ghostbusters?

Can you get a roll of Plus-x or double x and shoot a few feet, and develop it by hand? If you get bad things from the test you may worry..

The other thing is to let the lab know and ask them to double check the neg beofre they scan or print it.. If the camera broke down during your shoot you may be able to salvage some shots.

how far is across the gate ?

You have a shutter timing problem ... If its only slightly across the gate you maybe ok as there is a small pause between the shutter and the claw pull-down action

When the camera runs normally the shutter wont stop like it does in single frame mode, hence you wont see a shadow like you were suggesting - however, worst case scenario (assuming you were shooting with the shutter fully open) - you will have a vertical smear in your highlights ...

The Bolex has a 135 degree shutter angle, could this be why it's not completely clearing the gate in the single frame mode?

The newer RX wind-up Bolexes have 135 deg shutters when they are fully open but there are other models with 190 and 170deg shutters also ...

Regardless of which model I still think this is a shutter/pull-down timing issue - the single frame mode would be redundant otherwise

• Premium Member

thanks to everyone

I actually took the camera in for service today, along with a rex4 I had which also needed service. Instead of leaving with two fixed rex's, I ended up leaving with a beautifully clean super16 EBM full kit w/nikon mount, powergrip and battery!

Ordering some kodak tommorow ;)

and BTW-- it was a shutter timing problem

i guess just a matter of something coming loose