'Representations' of perforations next to physical perforations

Ive just received some 16mm Tri-X back from processing with my K3. I found something quite odd at the beginning of the film. Prior to the exposed footage, there appears to be what looks like white 'representations' of perforations next to the physical perforations. It's as if light was shining through the perforations and made these marks on the film. They disappear when the actual footage starts. Does this indicate that there was something wrong with the loading of the film? What has actually caused these marks to appear?

Ive just received some 16mm Tri-X back from processing with my K3. I found something quite odd at the beginning of the film. Prior to the exposed footage, there appears to be what looks like white 'representations' of perforations next to the physical perforations. It's as if light was shining through the perforations and made these marks on the film. They disappear when the actual footage starts. Does this indicate that there was something wrong with the loading of the film? What has actually caused these marks to appear?

i dunno how the process was made but it could be during the re-exposition also, when a film is developed on a tank, some developer can remain inside the perforations and overdevelop whatever emulsion is adjacent to it. i'd not worry.

If you were using a daylight load then I suspect its exactly what you suggested (light shining through the perforations made the marks) ... I see it all the time on my daylight rolls when i load in light.

If you were using a 400 ft load then I'm not sure what it was, perhaps you didn't load in total darkness ? but youd have other issues if that was the case ...

• Premium Member

When loading spools in subdued light, it is very common for the ends of the film to be fogged, imaging the perforations. If you want to avoid any chance of fogging, load and unload in a changing bag or darkroom.

A makeshift changing bag can be made by zipping up a leather jacket, and taping the seams with opaque tape. Reach in through the arms to load the camera inside the zipped jacket.