16mm recans in the UK

Hi i'm trying to work out a budget for my first 16mm short and was wondering were i could get reliable film stock from in the UK. All the searches i've done have returned places in the US, please tell me that the only option isn't buying full price Kodak stock, even with a student discount this will put the project in jepordy as the budget is really tight

thanks

Simon

• Premium Member

Hi,

It is traditionally very difficult to get 16mm recans in the UK, mainly because everyone wants it! I have been able to obtain very small amounts through chance encounters, most of which is still sitting in the fridge waiting for a project worthy of it, or more to the point worthy of the multi-thousand-pound operation of getting it onto a usable format.

Blanx in Wardour Street used to have stuff; I don't know if they're still in operation in some other location (I think they are.) I did used to wander in there and ask every so often just to find out what the situation was, but all they ever had over the two years I did this was the same five rolls of Fuji 64D, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in the English weather.

Phil