P2 Artifacts

Guest Paul Wizikowski

Guest Paul Wizikowski

So I have been using my HVX here and there. Well lately I have been noticing multi colored digital squares showing up randomly on my footage. They appear in rows and columns for just one frame. I have seen it while shooting 1080Pa as well as 720Pn. I have been fortunate so far that they haven't busted a good shot yet but this is unacceptable. Any one else noticing these on their footage? Any clue as to their cause?

post-8164-1165597735.jpg

Guest Paul Wizikowski

I have only tried slot 1. I will try the other to see if its slot specific.

I have always formatted the card with the camera.

Still wondering what could be causing it as I have only noticed this on recent shoots.

Wow, that's horrible. Hate to say it, but it sounds like a 1st generation glitch that'll probably be remedied in their next line of HVX cams.

I'm sure if you get a hold of the right person from Panasonic they'll help you out, as it sounds like a manufacturer's error.

Good luck

I have only tried slot 1. I will try the other to see if its slot specific.

I have always formatted the card with the camera.

Still wondering what could be causing it as I have only noticed this on recent shoots.

This is a known problem that sometimes occurs using P2 and a Mac. It happens to a lesser extent using a P.C., but happens nonetheless. Here is an extensive discussion thread discussing the problem and solutions:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t...t=solve+problem

Hope it helps.

Just copy your P2 card to a hard drive first.

Think of it as your "negative" anyway.

Make a new folder and then copy the CONTENTS folder and LASTCLIP.txt from the P2 card.....

On Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 the import dialog is greatly improved and if you have not upgraded yet - now is the time!!! The $99 upgrade is over on Dec 20th!!