Wanted DEAD Canon 1014XLs

Sean McHenry

I recently bought a Canon 1014-XLS Super 8 camera but the glass has gone bad. It has a rainbow hue on the primary lens on both sides. I am looking for any DEAD 1014-XLS cameras out there for a possible lens transplant. The body seems strong and even though it hasn't seen the light of day in about 15 years, it's pulling film just fine it seems. Hate to toss it out because of bad glass.

If you have any leads or wish to let go of a 1014-XLS in bad mechanical condition, please let me know.

Sean McHenry

Sean@DeepBlueEdit.com

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Edited by Sean McHenry

It's not just the usual anti-reflection coating, is it? It's supposed to look rather rainbow-like. As long as it 's fairly uniform you may not have a problem.

It seems to have a physical characteristic to it as well. I can't explain it very well and doubt I could capture a picture of it but there seems to be physical "stuff" on the back side of the primary element. Someone I wrote to about it thinks it may be the two physical lenses are de-laminating. I guess there are 2 lenses actually glued together somehow that make the first element? Seems odd to me but I know nothing about how the glass is really made.

There is also a tiny chip in one corner. I may shoot with it anyway and do a comparison with the 814 XLS I have. Won't hurt to fully test it but I know it isn't 100% right in it's current state. Bernie said he would take a look at it for me when I break down and send it up to him. I wanted to see if he could just do a transplant but so far, no dead 1014XLS's out there.

Thanks,

Sean

Hopefully it's the camera that's breaking down, not you.

Lens elements are cemented together with canada balsam, a glue which can go bad due to damp. But I'd say it's worth a test. Perhaps you can live with it. After all, it won't be deteriorating any further, because you'll be looking after it.