Need helpful ideas for recording HD without P2 of Firestore

Jim Feldspar

I am shooting for somebody who just bought an HVX-200. She's waiting for her free 8GB card and after

ordering her Firestore last week, with the hope that it would be in this week and the vendor saying that

was possible, she received this in an e-mail from the vendor:

" Panasonic has advised us that there is a major back order situation on FS100 FireStores due to

unprecedented demand. No more will be shipped now until the end of January."

P2 cards are available for rent but we're unable to download them in the field. We have a MacBookPro

(which doesn't accept P2 cards) and anyway has Final Cut Express, not Final Cut Pro.

Nobody seems to rent Firestores around here. We can't afford to rent all the P2 cards that we'd need to

shoot and bring them like camera negative back to the Final Cut Pro system that is far from the location.

Is there any way to use the MacBookPro into a Lacie external drive? I read once that somebody used an

early version of i-Pod (which had Firewire) to record HD footage. We might be able to get the use of one of

those. Does anybody know how to record HVX-200 HD (72024P) to an i-Pod?

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

I found this in Apple Discussions: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...85

You'll want to confirm with Panasonic, I'm sure there's a way around it as I know the Panasonic doesn't ONLY output in its own Panasonic format.

But to use your MacBookPro & FCE, you'll probably have to upgrade to FCE HD, which I think is a $99 upgrade. And yeah, as far as I know, it is possible. You may want to reconsider doing field recording with a Lacie hard drive though. There has been some bad news recently with year old Lacid HD's crashing on people.

good luck!

I found this in Apple Discussions: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...85

You'll want to confirm with Panasonic, I'm sure there's a way around it as I know the Panasonic doesn't ONLY output in its own Panasonic format.

But to use your MacBookPro & FCE, you'll probably have to upgrade to FCE HD, which I think is a $99 upgrade. And yeah, as far as I know, it is possible. You may want to reconsider doing field recording with a Lacie hard drive though. There has been some bad news recently with year old Lacid HD's crashing on people.

good luck!

"I'm sure there's a way around it as I know the Panasonic doesn't ONLY output in its own Panasonic

format." Wow! Never thought of that. I'll check it out. Thanks Jonathan.

I actually do have Final Cut Express HD, just used to using (inaccurate) shorthand.