adapting Mole Richardson fresnel with European voltage

Sing Lo

Hi,

I am thinking of importing the Mole Richardson 1KW Classic or Desisti Leonardo 1k from B&H for use here in the U.K household electricity. The cables of the US fixtures are different from the european ones. . If I fit a proper 220V CP40 lamp and change the "Edison plug" (I have no clue what it looks like) to UK household plug, will it be OK???

As far as I know, the US fresnel cable is also earthed and much thicker than the european counterpart becuase of half the voltage and double the current. The cable has different colour codes for live, nuetral and earth as well. For a 1kW fixture, what Amps fuse should I use for the UK plug?

Here they stock mostly 1k fresnels made by Arri in the UK, but I prefer Mole or Desisti becuase of the bigger fresnel lens diameter,i.e. sofer light in spot position which is very important for my still photography application.

The 1000w globe will draw half as many amps on 220v as it does on 110 volts. You can calucate the exact number: watts/volts = amperes, 1000/220=4.54 amps. Regarding the color coding in the cord: black=hot; white= neutral; green=ground.

The 1000w globe will draw half as many amps on 220v as it does on 110 volts. You can calucate the exact number: watts/volts = amperes, 1000/220=4.54 amps. Regarding the color coding in the cord: black=hot; white= neutral; green=ground.

Thanks JD. I actually called up Desisti UK and they told me the same thing as well, and only normal household fuse is needed for 1kW fresnel. The maximum household current is 13amps, so a 2kW fresnel would be still no problem for household electricity.

The price of lights in the USA is just so much cheaper than here.