arri35-3

Natalie Saito

Is there a good site where I can find more information on the Arri35-3. I'm going to work on a short film as AC, possibly loader, and I never used this camera. I want to be prepared. They are shooting with anamorphic lens, which I also never worked with before. thanks for reading!

Edited by NSaito

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked working with the Arri 35-3; it wasn't hard at all. I'm curiously to see how the footage comes out; we've toward the end of the last roll experimented with the frame rate. We didn't end up using anamorphic; we used 3 perf. -- I was told there wasn't any difference in camera operation, mainly that 4 perf. (typical for anamorphic) uses up the film quicker.

I gotta question for the pros: while you shoot the camera, what would you do if you wanted to change the frame rates (regarding exposure) and zoom or dolly in/out (regarding focus) simultaneously? thanks for reading! Natalie

• Premium Member

Good luck to the operator..... those old anamorphic extension eyepieces were terrible. I've still got an Arri 3 kit and its bullet proof, dont ever remember a problem with it..... just an out dated viewing system.

I gotta question for the pros: while you shoot the camera, what would you do if you wanted to change the frame rates (regarding exposure) and zoom or dolly in/out (regarding focus) simultaneously? thanks for reading! Natalie

Not sure I understand your question..... but there used to be a speed / aperture control for the arri 3, just had to be set up to the particular lens..... on the 435 the shutter can also take care of the exposure change within certain limitations. As for pulling focus.....thats what the AC does....hopefully

• Premium Member
Good luck to the operator..... those old anamorphic extension eyepieces were terrible.

What was so bad about them? I've never shot anamorphic, so I've always wondered what it looks like through the deanamorphosing (sp?) viewfinder. Would a newer eyepiece extension (like the Arricam) work? Also, were the short anamorphic eyepieces bad also, or just the longer extension tubes?

Thanks, Tony!

• Premium Member
What was so bad about them? I've never shot anamorphic, so I've always wondered what it looks like through the deanamorphosing (sp?) viewfinder. Would a newer eyepiece extension (like the Arricam) work? Also, were the short anamorphic eyepieces bad also, or just the longer extension tubes?

Thanks, Tony!

From memory the only way to view the unsqueezed image on the Arri 3 is with the extension viewfinder. Its such a small pice of glass the distortion is bad (very difficult to judge focus but ok for framing) and very dark compared to modern systems. You'll need to eye focus on the squeezed image.....

From memory the only way to view the unsqueezed image on the Arri 3 is with the extension viewfinder. Its such a small pice of glass the distortion is bad (very difficult to judge focus but ok for framing) and very dark compared to modern systems. You'll need to eye focus on the squeezed image.....

I did an anamorphic show recently where we had some Arri 3s and the baffles were visible in the finder and videotap. Is there any way around that, or are you stuck with that doing anamorphic on a 35-3?

• Premium Member
I did an anamorphic show recently where we had some Arri 3s and the baffles were visible in the finder and videotap. Is there any way around that, or are you stuck with that doing anamorphic on a 35-3?

The baffles were removed on our camera, there is an increased risk of internal flare but that depends on so many other factors also. Check with your rental house.