Vision 100T 7212 in 16mm

Matt Wells

Anyone got any thoughts or experiences of Vision2 100T 7212 in standard 16mm?

I've done a couple of jobs with 7212 (and one with 5212) and I love this film stock! 7248 was my favorite stock for 16mm until I shot some tests and a couple of commercials with the new '12. It has a tight grain structure and wonderful color reproduction and the best part is you don't have to sweat bullets if the light fades and you end up underexposing a bit. When underexposing 7248 the grain would immediately start to jump out at me, but not with '12. When I transferred my tests, I found that I could underexpose the 7212 about 1 1/2 stops before I could notice any substantial increase in grain (This is my personal opinion. Do your own tests, you may find that you can underexpose more and still have a good image...it's all a matter of personal taste).

I really have to hand it to Kodak. They have developed stocks that have all of the benefits of yester-year film stocks plus they have increased latitude, decreased grain and they have fine tuned each stock for a particular use/look. This is a great time to be shooting film!

Jeff

Kodak VISION2 100T Color Negative Film 7212 is the sharpest, but 7245 still has the lowest granularity.

How's that?

I always thought there was a direct correlation between granularity and sharpness - an inverse relationship (the lower the granularity, the higher the sharpness).

Essentially, aren't finer grains needed to produce sharper edges/more detail? How does one stock with finer (smaller) grains [45] get away with not being as sharp as a stock with larger grains [12]? Does it have something to do with color?

Thank you for your time.

• Premium Member

Sharpness and grain ARE related, but Kodak emulsion makers also have ways of changing the characteristics independently. So you can improve sharpness without affecting grain. Chemical enhancers (like DIAR couplers) can be selectively used.

• Premium Member

I stand in awe of Kodak's emulsion makers and film coating engineers! There's some wonderful things going on in those dozen or so emulsion layers whose total thickness is about as fine as a human hair. As I've said before, it's like Kodak makes 12-megapixel sensors and attaches them to 35mm clear perforated flexible plastic for ease in handling and storage, and sells them for less than 4 cents ($0.04 USD) each. B)

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDe...ighlights.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDe...eDo/index.shtml

• Premium Member

It's not just about grain size. How the grains distribute and bunch together affects sharpness. Get a common scientific magnifier (like you used in high school biology class) and look at the grain patterns of various stocks.