I usually just:

AD - Stand by

AD - Turn Over

Cameraman - Rolling

Clapper - scene # take # (Clap)

Director - Action

Director - Cut

AD - Check Gate (If film)

I dont need a "Roll sound" Or anything like that,as the sound guy rolls sound automatically @ the "Stand by" mark. or if Im doing DV, then there is no "Roll sound" as the sound rolls when the tape does.

It all depends on how you want it to sound. there is no right way to say these things. You, as the director need to make clear how the production should work. like what will be said, by who and what will happen when it is said.

Thats my advice.

• Premium Member

Well, you generally want to hear "speed" from Sound because they may have a problem -- you can't assume they are recording just because you told them to. But unless you plan on a late roll for Camera, you often can assume the camera starts rolling after they hear "speed" from Sound. And a nod from the first assistant might be enough for the clapper to know when to slate. But often they just count a few beats and then clap. Sometimes if the camera wasn't ready for that, the operator or first assistant will call "second sticks" and the second will slate again, calling "second sticks" out for Sound.

It's the same reason why it's a good idea to hear "set" from the operator before you yell "action" -- sometimes the operator and focus-puller have to reset something after the slating.

Whatever system works for everyone.

What I can't stand is when the director starting cursing out the sound and camera people for not rolling when something happens when no one told them to start rolling, as if they were psychic.

• Premium Member

Mr Nash,

WRAP does means your finished for the day.......ALL OVER THE WORLD. But it's history is based on an ancronim in the business way way back in the misty past. When WRAP was called on set......This told everyone that shooting was finished for the day because you Wound the Reel and Printed. You learn something new every day.

This told everyone that shooting was finished for the day because you Wound the Reel and Printed.

I thought wrap comes from the common expression "let's wrap things up" or "let's wrap it up", this probably referring to the packaging up of equipment. I don't know how it could mean something like winding a reel, after all there's no winding or rewinding after the shoot - just unloading the mag and sending it to the lab.

I never quite got the whole MOS thing. I don't quite buy into the mit out sound business (the German accents of the directors), "movie omit sync/sound" makes a bit more sense, but I still have no idea. I guess this is the area of film anthropologists and linguists, if such a field of study exists :)

- G.

• Premium Member

I really think the WRAP acronym is a little tedious, just like a lot of those things that go around about the etymology of curse words. And George is right, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I think "wrap" probably does come from "wrap things up" or something.

As for MOS ... here's a link:

http://www.filmsound.org/terminology/mos.htm

I remember once hearing "RED'S UP!" on set rather than the usual "PICTURE'S UP!". I guess the P.As in question were referring to the red light that goes with the bell.

The other thing about this shoot was (similarly mentioned earlier), after the AD called to roll camera, I think "ROLLING!" was bounced between about ten people via radios and also over a public address speaker.

As this was being shot in a huge indoor structure, the director had to wait about 5 seconds for the echoed shouts to die down (probably wasting God knows how many miles of film in total) before he called for action.

• Premium Member

You are correct. The Abby is the second to last shot. My post was meant to be a joke, although it seems like no one got it. I meant that the "Martini" is overused, as in, it's used prematurely......i.e........Abby Singer. Since the whole reason there is an "Abby Singer" is that Abby Singer was a real 1st AD that always prematurely called the martini, so his martini always ended up being the second to last shot. Because of him the "Abby Singer" ended up being the second to last shot. Well, stupid joke I guess. A lot of people here may not be familiar with the Abby Singer anyway........

Just messin' around.

You are correct.  The Abby is the second to last shot.  My post was meant to be a joke, although it seems like no one got it.  I meant that the "Martini" is overused, as in, it's used prematurely......i.e........Abby Singer.  Since the whole reason there is an "Abby Singer" is that Abby Singer was a real 1st AD that always prematurely called the martini, so his martini always ended up being the second to last shot.  Because of him the "Abby Singer" ended up being the second to last shot.  Well, stupid joke I guess.  A lot of people here may not be familiar with the Abby Singer anyway........

Just messin' around.

Heheh... Now I get it. :lol:

• Premium Member
You are correct.  The Abby is the second to last shot.  My post was meant to be a joke, although it seems like no one got it.  I meant that the "Martini" is overused, as in, it's used prematurely......i.e........Abby Singer.  Since the whole reason there is an "Abby Singer" is that Abby Singer was a real 1st AD that always prematurely called the martini, so his martini always ended up being the second to last shot.  Because of him the "Abby Singer" ended up being the second to last shot.  Well, stupid joke I guess.  A lot of people here may not be familiar with the Abby Singer anyway........

Just messin' around.

Heheh... Now I get it. :lol:

It's pretty sad when I have to write THAT much just to explain my joke! That's like, the definition of a bad joke I think. :unsure:

But thanks for the kind chuckly anyway. :P

• Premium Member
I always thought the Abby Singer was the second to last shot...

That's right. I actually met the real Abby Singer once when he filled in for Paul Mason at Viacom productions.

The point of being aware of the second to last shot is that departments that are ready before others can use some of that time to get a little head start on the wrap. The best boy, for instance, knows they won't be running any more 4/0, so the stuff that's standing by out in the hallway can start heading down to the truck. Spreading out the heavy work like that helps a lot.

BTW, the Morrey Amsterdam is a corned beed sandwich, IIRC. ;-)

-- J.S.

I've never had the honor of shouting commands during a film shoot, but if I ever had the chance, I might be compelled to yell, "Bring out the corndogs!" Or just do a little two step and clap. Just to switch things up for the crew.

:unsure: