Reala 500 D Fujifilm

• Premium Member

I've been given the demonstration DVD for super F series in Cannes, saw the reala 500D film and I'm wondering how to use it in mixed balance light, as they put forward its ability for these situations.

Should one filter differently than if it was a "normal" Daylight film in such a case ?

Was this discussed here somewhere before ?

Thanks everyones

• Premium Member

It's a normal daylight balanced film and should be treated as such, although "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" shot in in tungsten situations -- however, Ellen Kuras reported she had difficulty correcting out the orange cast digitally compared to with printer lights.

The stock has mild contrast, softer colors, and is somewhat graininer than their F-500T stock.

It suppresses excess green when shooting under flourescents; it's not a complete correction though but it does smooth out the differences when shooting under mixed fluorescents and daylight. It really doesn't do anything special about mixed daylight and tungsten situations other than the fact that it is slightly pastel makes the difference less strong.

• Premium Member

I see...Thanks very much, David. I've seen other posts that began to make sense to me but yours is more precise even.

I want to make tests with my students next year, and as we got better prices from Fuji, I'll have to use these stoks, and I must confess I'm not used to Fuji as much as Kodak's ones...

What stocks do you think it would be good to test with the students (Keylight , contrast, color temprerature...) ? I was thinking of testing 125, and the 500 D, but do you think it's worth trying another D light one (64 or 250?) and what other Tungsten would you suggest (250, 400 or 500) ? I mean, it's interesting to test one that has a different behavior than 125 (contrast). I think it maybe usefull to try a highspeed one, is there much difference beetween 400 and 500 ? (than a third of stop) ?

• Premium Member

Fuji's 400T is a low con stock, you might want to try that one for educational purposes. It's

Fuji's equivalent to Kodak's 320. It was some time since I shot on it now, but I remember

it as a quite pleasing stock, a bit soft and "pre-flashed" in appearance. I liked it.

• 3 weeks later...