HVX200 P2 to MAC workflow Questions

Ryan Barton-Grimley

Hey all,

I'm planning on shooting some stuff with the HVX200 onto P2 cards.

I have an old Macbook w/ the p2 card slot and it has Final Cut Express HD on it.

I was planning to use this on set to download footage to two portable hard-drives, one as back-up.

Is Final Cut Express HD the only software that I need? If not what else could I use?

Is there a simple program that will download P2 to 2 hard drives at the same time?

My goal was to then use my desktop Final Cut Pro system to actually cut, getting my media

from the hard drives. Will this work? Am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

answers and info much appreciated!!!

RBG

Hey all,

I'm planning on shooting some stuff with the HVX200 onto P2 cards.

I have an old Macbook w/ the p2 card slot and it has Final Cut Express HD on it.

I was planning to use this on set to download footage to two portable hard-drives, one as back-up.

Is Final Cut Express HD the only software that I need? If not what else could I use?

Is there a simple program that will download P2 to 2 hard drives at the same time?

My goal was to then use my desktop Final Cut Pro system to actually cut, getting my media

from the hard drives. Will this work? Am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

answers and info much appreciated!!!

RBG

Check your capture settings because I'm pretty sure that Final Cut Express will not accept

P2 footage.

"Is there a simple program that will download P2 to 2 hard drives at the same time?"

I don't know about two hard drives simultaneously but check out P2 Genie. I believe that

installing that will allow you to

capture

through your laptop to an external drive(s) with no NLE even on the computer. That's

for what it was designed. It costs less

than

50 bucks. Check out their web site www.P2Genie.com (I think) otherwise do a search and

it'll come up.

If he's only using his Macbook for transferring the files over to an HD, couldn't he just drag & drop the files from the P2 card directly into his HD without even having to work with FCE?

I'm completely new to the P2 workflow, but since it's filebased, this should be a possibility, right?

If he's only using his Macbook for transferring the files over to an HD, couldn't he just drag & drop the files from the P2 card directly into his HD without even having to work with FCE?

I'm completely new to the P2 workflow, but since it's filebased, this should be a possibility, right?

You can use your laptop for accessing the p2 card, and then store the data in separate folders on internal or external hard drives. I havent used FCE so i dont know if you can or cannot import p2 footage. Anyways, once you are done copying files, then you need to import these folders to FCP 5.0.4 (minimum version)

Edited by sibte