400 ft daylight spools for Eclair ACL

marc barbé

I read a lot about loading the ACL 200 ft magazines with daylight spools or A-minima spools, but has any of you used daylight spools with the 4OOft mags?

The ACL notice doesn't mention daylight loading for the 4OOft mags. I wonder why.

A merry Xmas to you all,

Marc.

• Premium Member
I read a lot about loading the ACL 200 ft magazines with daylight spools or A-minima spools, but has any of you used daylight spools with the 4OOft mags?

When I was in grade school I saw a guy from the CBC taking some news film with 400 Ft spools, although back then (about 1962) I only knew that he was loading a magzine, probaly on an auricon, as it did have sound as I recall. It was shocking to me that he threw away about 50 feet of film .....

I do have one antique 400 ft daylight spool, but I use it just to respool ends to 100 ft daylight spools. (I roll on to that figuring that if their is any light leaks the spool would give more protection that just using my second split reel to go on another core. I have a bit of leader pre-threaded and use tape to attch the start of the end, so I dont have to try and find the slot in the dark.

{sorry - I know that is not the question, but that is the thorughts your question gave..}

When I was in grade school I saw a guy from the CBC taking some news film with 400 Ft spools, although back then (about 1962) I only knew that he was loading a magzine, probaly on an auricon, as it did have sound as I recall. It was shocking to me that he threw away about 50 feet of film .....

I do have one antique 400 ft daylight spool, but I use it just to respool ends to 100 ft daylight spools. (I roll on to that figuring that if their is any light leaks the spool would give more protection that just using my second split reel to go on another core. I have a bit of leader pre-threaded and use tape to attch the start of the end, so I dont have to try and find the slot in the dark.

{sorry - I know that is not the question, but that is the thorughts your question gave..}

Hi, Charles,

Would you say that using a 4OOft daylight spool would mean wasting 50ft of film? That's about 10 times what you waste on a 200ft spools. It does sound like a lot...

Anyway, in case I was alone to operate the camera and wanted to shoot several takes of a long sequence shot that would'nt put up with long intermissions, my question really is:

Is there any technical reason that would prevent me from using daylight spools in an ACLII magazine?

Regards,

Marc.

• Premium Member
Hi, Charles,

Would you say that using a 4OOft daylight spool would mean wasting 50ft of film?

Sorry - I was writing with a long ago picture in my mind. And I missed a few steps.

The dude from the CBC changed out a roll of film, in the trunk of his car. He then threw away the rest of the film on his supply spool, ato do so he rolled off about 50 feet of film onto the ground, so he could use that spool to reload his camera. Using a 400 ft daylightspool probaly would not result in any more than the difference in the circumperence of the spools more waste. for leader.... BUT I have never used one in a camera. My antique is used stricktly in the dark.

Sorry - I was writing with a long ago picture in my mind. And I missed a few steps.

The dude from the CBC changed out a roll of film, in the trunk of his car. He then threw away the rest of the film on his supply spool, ato do so he rolled off about 50 feet of film onto the ground, so he could use that spool to reload his camera. Using a 400 ft daylightspool probaly would not result in any more than the difference in the circumperence of the spools more waste. for leader.... BUT I have never used one in a camera. My antique is used stricktly in the dark.

That CBC guy sounds pretty swift. Good picture. All I would need is a car with a trunk on it, or get swift enough loading that good old ACL in a trunkless bag ...

Anywayz, it just sounds like sometimes a fast unprepared loading might be needed. By the way, do Kodak and Fuji condition 400ft daylight loads?

Keep on shooting,

Marc.

Spools are noisier than a core on a plate.

Stocks aren't usually availiable on 400' spools.

They're mostly for high speed cameras & the stock is long pitch.

Thank you. It is a problem about the noise.

Another thing, ACLs load emulsion side out. A DP told me he used to reverse the film by twisting it at some point in the mag, but said it's a long time ago and he can't remember the exact gesture. It certainly would save a trip to the darkroom. Does anyone out there use this technique with the ACL, and could you tell me more about it?

Thanks, and a beautiful stroll into the next year to you all.

Marc.