H1 Direct to Disk

Chayse Irvin ASC, CSC

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've tried the XHG1 (little bro to the H1) and the JVC GY-HD251 (see the latest issue of Showreel). The XLH1 should be slightly better than the G1 although I believe they use the same chip block.

The results are... well, the same, only without compression, ergo rather good. Personally I vastly prefer the pictures from the JVC but if you have an H1 you'll use that and it probably does have the sharpest pictures of any of the consumer cameras. Personally I find them a bit typically harsh and electronic-clippy - I think it'd do particularly well for the addition of a groundglass adaptor of some type. The JVC pictures are a lot gentler.

They'd all be better if we could get 10-bit pictures out of them. But we can't. Oh well.

For a reasonably ambitious drama production, I can see this being a very worthwhile thing to do.

Phil

Hi,

I've tried the XHG1 (little bro to the H1) and the JVC GY-HD251 (see the latest issue of Showreel). The XLH1 should be slightly better than the G1 although I believe they use the same chip block.

The results are... well, the same, only without compression, ergo rather good. Personally I vastly prefer the pictures from the JVC but if you have an H1 you'll use that and it probably does have the sharpest pictures of any of the consumer cameras. Personally I find them a bit typically harsh and electronic-clippy - I think it'd do particularly well for the addition of a groundglass adaptor of some type. The JVC pictures are a lot gentler.

They'd all be better if we could get 10-bit pictures out of them. But we can't. Oh well.

For a reasonably ambitious drama production, I can see this being a very worthwhile thing to do.

Phil

Interesting. What was your workflow as far a capturing HDSDI and storage and such information?

• Premium Member

Hi,

Very limited as I did it as a lab experiment - I'm supposed to be doing two single-day shoots with the same system in the next month.

It depends largely on what hardware you use to do your HD-SDI input as to what sort of recordings you'll get. You have to be quite specific about how you're doing timecode and audio, how you want that recorded, and what software you need to use to ensure that everything works out as expected. For instance, most prosumer cameras do not embed their timecode in the HD-SDI and most capture cards do not have discrete LTC inputs, so you may need to provide timecode over RS422, requiring a conversion device. Also, many prosumer cameras either won't jam to external timecode or simply don't have inputs, so you will have to jam sound to the camera if you want to record dual system and do timecode resolving later. Many of these cameras also don't embed their audio in the SDI and many capture cards lack analog audio inputs. Make sure everything's set correctly and everything handles things in the same format as everything else.

A few things to think about, but nothing particularly onerous.

Phil

• 1 month later...
Guest Matti Poutanen

Just a thought: Is it possible to get uncompressed stuff to disk via Firewire? I have access to couple of these FireStore hard drives designed to work with digital video cameras, but I'm not sure if they work with HDV.

Guest Matti Poutanen
Hi,

You can get disk recorders that work with HDV over firewire, but that's the common misconception - if you record the HDV, it'll be MPEG-2 compressed, and we want uncompressed. Yes?

Phil

Yep, that answered my question, so the only advantage of using Firewire decks is that you don't need tapes.

• 2 weeks later...