ultra 16mm help?

jasarsenault

• 3 weeks later...
Guest VideoCowboy

Would having the gate enlarged enough for both ultra 16 and super 16 formats cause a problem? I am thinking of being able to format for s16 only when shooting a project with any potential for enlarging to 35mm, because with a K-3 the viewfinder is not changed.

Thanx,

Hal

• 1 year later...

Hello Matt, could you please let us know how the tests went?

Thank you

The thing you guys who are negative on the format are forgetting, is that having your gate widened STILL leaves you with the standard 16mm format being imaged.

So you can shoot Ultra16 and have that wider image on the film, just in case the format DOES become standard in the future.

So it's not like you're stuck with footage that you cannot get telecined or blown up to 35mm.

The 16mm frame is intact.

If 2 years from now, or 20 years from now, the format gets popular, you have that extra image on your neg to use if you want to.

There's nothing to lose in that manner.

P.S. I've just had my CP16R/A gate widened (an extra gate I bought, actually, just in case!), and I'll be running some tests in the next couple weeks.

I'll post them when I'm done.

Matt Pacini

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

read through all the forums or do a search. There's a TON of ultra talk around.

basically, get someone qualified to do the mod : Bernie O'Doherty at Super16 Inc (super16inc.com)

Alphacine should do the labwork since their rollers wont touch between the perfs.

Cinelicious does amazing ultra transfers. Bonolabs isn't ready for it yet, but they will be soon (so Tim says). They need to invest in a bit more eqipment.

All in all Ultra saves a TON of money and achieves a great wide 16 image.

If you want to shoot film, and want to shoot 16, Ultra is perfect.

My results : http://vimeo.com/5383179

• 1 month later...
Just curious. If I was not happy with the ultra conversion am I stuck with it? I hear I can still shoot reg16 fine, so is there really any risk. What kind of cost would there be if I had to replace my gate on my NPR?

Jason

Enlage the film gate for about 0.75mm on the opposite side of the claw and you will shoot super 16. You will just have to re-center the turret

Guy

Cameraspro

• 4 months later...
read through all the forums or do a search. There's a TON of ultra talk around.

basically, get someone qualified to do the mod : Bernie O'Doherty at Super16 Inc (super16inc.com)

Alphacine should do the labwork since their rollers wont touch between the perfs.

Cinelicious does amazing ultra transfers. Bonolabs isn't ready for it yet, but they will be soon (so Tim says). They need to invest in a bit more eqipment.

All in all Ultra saves a TON of money and achieves a great wide 16 image.

If you want to shoot film, and want to shoot 16, Ultra is perfect.

My results : http://vimeo.com/5383179

I'm impressed with those results and now I'm convinced this is the best solution for my BL.

I have given serious thought to a S16 conversion at Arandafilm but U16 solves many issues for upgrading a BL.

That's it, I'm going the Ultra 16 route.