HD for an upcoming short

Peter Egan

Hi there,

My first foray into these parts of the forum. I feel like an alien, as I've purposefully limited myself to film, in particular 16mm for my ARRI S.

So there's a new short I am planning - I'm doing it in HD that's for sure, it's right for the story I think. After a few peeks in this forum I've loosely settled on Sony F900 or F950 (haven?t gotten to knowing the difference yet), and I guess the first question I impatiently want to ask before I start bombarding these forums with more is: what is the daily or weekly or any kind of price for this camera? Oh, and I'm in London, BTW, so Londoners, please help.

Happy New Year and all, with a short delay,

Peter

Usually the budget is tight on shorts, so unless you really need to shoot for effects shots I'd tend towards the F900 (the F950 body is a lot more expensive to rent, then you need to hire a VTR on top of that). Since you're in a PAL country you could also consider the HDW 750 (around £450 per day), which is cheaper to hire than the F900 (around £650 per day). The HDW 750 can shoot either 25p or 50i.

These rates excluded any lenses (around £150 to £175 per day for each zoom lens - you might 2 lenses: the wide angle zoom and standard zoom), lens accessories or monitor. The weekly rate is normally 4 times the weekly.

Best thing is to ring around a few rental companies and get some quotes. For a short, you can sometimes hire a camera package for less than the headline price.