Nizo 6056

Ken Moss

I just recently purchased a Nizo 6056 from ebay, but it is missing the microphone bracket/holder. Does anyone know where i may be able to get one? And is there any place that i can send it to get it checked out for repairs? Everything seems to work but i have not tested it with non expired film yet. I just have practice film.

Edited by ken

but it is missing the microphone bracket/holder. Does anyone know where i may be able to get one?

Since soundfilm is no longer avaible the microphone won't be very usefull.

And is there any place that i can send it to get it checked out for repairs? Everything seems to work but i have not tested it with non expired film yet. I just have practice film.

Before spending money on a service I'd perform some tests on my own. Maybe your camera runs perfectly good and you'd rather spend the money on stock and processing than on a service.

When I get a new camera I proceed like this:

Check different speeds and single frame with a roll of expired film, normaly you can guess after the sound it makes.(never run the camera at slowmotion(54fps) without film inside, this might harm the mechanics)

Check transport by marking the film with a marker, shoot some seconds then check if the film has been transported.

Check if the if 85filter swings in an out.

Check if iris opens and closes when using manual exposure

Compare internal lightmeter with external mesuring

Check by eye if backfocus is ok by pointing on someting that's very far away, set focus to infinity, zoom in and out and check with the splitviewfinderthing if focus stays, do the same with someting at minimum focus distance... Note that with excessive dioptry-correction on the viewfinder the splitscreen is NOT accurate...

Test sync: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...mp;hl=nizo+6080

If all the tests are positive I start shooting film, if I really want to be sure some testcharts, normaly I'm to lazy and start shooting right away. For the first roll I try to cover all possible situations: Wide open, full tele, full wide-angle, focus to infinity, shortest focus-distance, manual- and autoexposure, all speeds etc...

cheers, Bernhard

sorry about that ill fix it. Thanks bernhard. i ran the test and everything i think is working. but now im getting a problem with the power. it powers on only sometimes. im using 1.5 volt and i have 1.2 volt rechargeables?

• Premium Member
sorry about that ill fix it. Thanks bernhard. i ran the test and everything i think is working. but now im getting a problem with the power. it powers on only sometimes. im using 1.5 volt and i have 1.2 volt rechargeables?

It's possible that it only likes one type of battery and not another.

Check inside the handle for any "warnings" about voltage requirements.

• Premium Member
yeah the handle holder has no + or - on it but i think i loaded them right? because it turned on for me several times but now its just by chance. im going out to get new batteries today so i can test it again.

If you load them incorrectly the batteries usually will overheat and lose voltage as a result. It can be bad for the camera as well.

. im using 1.5 volt and i have 1.2 volt rechargeables?

It's designed for 1.2V rechargeables.

check here: http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Nizo_6056

As the "schmalfilm"-magazine 1-2/1994 states, you can even use normal 1.5V AA batteries instead of the 1.2V rechargable ones: There's a diode called "ZY12" to protect the camera from overvoltage, but the 9V (6x 1.5V) instead of the 7.2V (6x 1.2V) are still within the limits of the "ZY12". Nevertheless using rechargable batteries saves you a lot of money and is more "environment-friendly".

could there be a bad connection on my battery box? im still confused why it would say 1.5v on the battery box and that you should use 1.2v?

Are you saying there is no diagram of any kind?

no diagram at all.. in manual anywhere?

Rechargeables are nominally 1.2V but they are equivalent to 1.5V expendables. If you check them with a voltmeter you'll find they are actually about 1.4V off-load when fresh. IIRC rechargeables have less voltage drop on-load, hence the lower quoted voltage. But they're fine.

wonder what the problem is then?

You'll want to troubleshoot a couple things:

1. Does the power come on at all for the camera? You can check this by using the battery meter(if it has one) or any of the light meters functions.

2. Does it power up but will not run the motor (spool film)?

If there is no power at all to the camera, then there is definitely an internal electric problem. This could range from poor battery contacts to the PCB. Because it is intermittent I'm guessing one of 2 places. The wiring from the battery box to the camera, or (more likely) a poor connection at the power switch.

If it has some power (accessories) but will not spool film, then it is most likely a poor connection (bad) trigger, or more rarely it could be a poor connection to the camera's motor.

I would troubleshoot the above examples and then if you feel confident, test the internal connections. I am in no way recommending you pull it apart with no experience, but it is most likely a poor connection/bad switch somewhere.

Edited by Rodney Dotson

• Premium Member

I don't want to make a big deal about the battery polarity but I keep asking if there is a diagram and I guess you are misunderstanding. I don't mean in the manual, I mean in the battery handle or nearby, lets at least make sure you have put all batteries in the same way.

Also, I think it is a good idea to have one set of 1.2 volt rechargeables and one set of regular 1.5 volt alkalines just in case the camera likes one type of battery more than the other. I'm also not sure what it is that is not working since in your previous post you state that everything works when you first turn on the camera.

when the camera does power up it works? its only sometimes, pretty much when it wants to. no there are no diagram in the battery box not even a + or - sign? i have both sets of batteries also. sorry for the misunderstanding.

the only way that it will sometimes turn on is when i press the action trigger and the power switch that is on the handle together and it make a loud noise if i do that. And i know its not good to do that.

I can almost guarantee you have a poor connection in one or both of those switches. As for a repair...

I really don't know. It would depend on what exactly is wrong with it. does it need the switches replaced? Does it need a good parts cleaning? Corrosion? Loose wires/connections? It may only be a problem with a couple parts, but the extent of the repair is going determine the cost.

I'm sure someone here knows who works on the Nizo's. Unfortunately, I don't.