message for Kaan Caliskan

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Kaan sent me a message from here but every reply I've tried to send comes back with this error message:

This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or their personal messenger inbox is full.

So if Kaan is reading this, you know why you haven't heard back from me!

• Premium Member

Someone else mentionned the same problem in another thread.

It is a fact that someone can disable its personal messenger.

As to make sure one's is not disabled, click on "My Controls" then "Options/Board Settings" then check that the "Disable my personal messenger options" is not set to "yes".

Thanks for your reply Mr. Mullen.. It's a pleasure to receive message from you.. Lastly, I have informed you that i have gotten your book named CINEMATOGRAPHY (Third edition) .. I'm reading it and enjoy it a lot.. after finish reading your book i'm planning to read a book specificly about lightning .. i need your offer on that subject... do you have any book or author offer.. thanks for your help.. :)

There are very useful informations about 16mm and 35mm in your book. But in my country, 16mm and 35mmare used specificly for cinema films, advertising films for tv and some video music clips.. but i'm a cameraman at tv-serial which is the most popular one "Avrupa Yakasi" in Turkey it's used to be used digital betacam or hd in tv serials.. it's so hard for a person to learn 35 mm in Turkey if you are not a MSU university graduate.. there is a union which is composed of 50-60 MSU graduate and that group involves the persons who knows 35mm in Turkey and they don't accept any other universty graduate and we can specificly say that that knowledge is at their monopoly.. For that reason, I have to learn 35 mm by myself and I'm planing to buy camera.. Do you think that 8mm could help me for the begining? Do you have any idea about the prices of 8mm or 16mm? Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

I don't know what the issues are in Turkey for buying and processing Super-8 film, and if you want to get it transferred to video, which post houses offer that service.

But I found shooting Super-8 color and b&w reversal and projecting the results very educational.

Otherwise, what's more important I think is using a camera with manual exposure controls. In that case, if ultimately you want to shoot 35mm, a simple 16mm camera may be better, something like an Arri-S for example. Just note that 16mm can get expensive to shoot so keep your tests short.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
http://red.com

"the red mysterium sensor has finally pushed digital acquisition past the timeless 35mm fil barrier in resolution and clean color fidelity" David Stamp, A.S.C.

Hi mr. Mullen what do you think about this? is this real?

We'll soon find out.

Obviously there are other image quality issues than resolution or color fidelity, like dynamic range, ability to be misexposed and corrected, sensitivity, etc.

David Stump, ASC knows what he is talking about technically, and has a visual efx background, but you also have to know that he has no prejudices against digital photography in general -- he's very open-minded about that look. He has wanted to shoot 4K digital for a while now.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Mullen.. It's a pleasure to receive message from you.. Lastly, I have informed you that i have gotten your book named CINEMATOGRAPHY (Third edition) ..

I have been thinking of getting this book for a while now. But I'm not shooting film yet. I have shot it, but just for fun and tests. I shoot mostly HD. Do you think there are a lot of useful things for HD cinematography in the book too David? I have shot some HD+mini35 lately too.

• Premium Member
I have been thinking of getting this book for a while now. But I'm not shooting film yet. I have shot it, but just for fun and tests. I shoot mostly HD. Do you think there are a lot of useful things for HD cinematography in the book too David? I have shot some HD+mini35 lately too.

The book covers basic photography issues (exposure, lenses, etc.) that are applicable to video, and lighting, filters, etc. -- but it doesn't specifically cover any video camera technology.

Hi Mullen

I have heard that Kodak will stop production of negative film in 2010. For this reason the 35 mm will be history because of its expensive cost. Is it possible ?

Besides do you know any document or film that is shoot with red ? What do you think about red and future of 35 mm?

• Premium Member
Hi Mullen

I have heard that Kodak will stop production of negative film in 2010. For this reason the 35 mm will be history because of its expensive cost. Is it possible ?

Besides do you know any document or film that is shoot with red ? What do you think about red and future of 35 mm?

There is no stop date for film production, just people's wild guesses. 2010 is only three years away and things change much more slowly than that in Hollywood, so don't expect 35mm to be gone by then. The 4K digital cameras like RED or Dalsa that even come remotely close to 35mm quality are still relatively new without a lot of distribution like film cameras worldwide, so there isn't even yet enough of those units to make a dent in film production, nor would there likely be in three years.

Eventually there will be a rapid tipping-over point away from film and towards digital cinematography for productions typically shot on film -- but we're not even near that point yet. The majority of cinema releases in the theaters are shot on film today. The majority of dramatic TV shows is shot on film today, which surprises even me seven years after the first 24P camera was introduced.

I do think that someday most production work will be shot digitally, on some future descendent of cameras like the RED, Dalsa, D20, Genesis. But when that date comes, who knows. A decade from now would be one guess, not really supported by any evidence though.

But it maybe two years before I even get to shoot a Genesis project, and by then Panavision might be introducing a prototype 4K version, just as Arri might be introducing a 4K version of the D20, then another three or more years before medium-budget guys like me have their hands on it, and another couple of years before enough of them are built to handle the bulk of film production... so a decade away is not being too conservative.

And even after that, who is to say that some private company won't take over motion picture film production after Kodak and Fuji moves away from it -- and even if they sell it at twice the price, some aficionados will poney up the money just to be able to shoot film in their cameras.

Hi Mr Mullen

Thanks for your reply. it was so informative for me. It's clear that I have to learn 35mm by myself.

I've been to cinema "Blood Diamond" last night. There were some sights which I've also used to see at many other cinema films like "Man on fire". They are mostly using tele objective for shooting those kind sights. Here in Turkey tele objective is not used that common. I found sights shooted with Tele objective very impressing. In which occasioans do you think that tele objectives needed to be used ? Have you seen those films?

My new goal is to catch the "Sparta 300" cinema film's colors with same quality at video cameras. By decreasing Kelvin degrees and using chocolate filter, i'm hoping to achive that goal. I found colors and effects on "Man on fire" and "De Javu" cinema films unbelievable. I guess that is Paul Cameron style or Tony Scott's. But I couldn't saw that sights at Tony Scott's other films. For that reason I concluded that it is Paul's style.

I wonder if that sights come up as the output of camera or as a result of editing stage. If its with camera how can I get it?

Thanks in advance

Kaan

• Premium Member

Telephoto shots are done with telephoto lenses. If you're asking about overlaid viewfinder lines like in a rifle scope or still camera groundglass, there are devices to do that in-camera from some rental houses, but usually it's added in post.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mr Mullen.. i'm a camera operator in turkish tv serial... "avrupa yakasi" .. it is a sit-com.. and we have 4 camera for this job... at the same time 4 camera shot.. 3 camera models same 'dsr 390' (dvcam) and 1 camera model is "dsr 570 ws" thereis only a 4.5 canon wide angle objective.. it's on "dsr 579 ws". .. we have a problem abaout color of those cameras... three of them same model and same objective... but one of them is "dsr 570 ws with 4.5 wide angle objective ... we work in studio lights desisti 2000 , 1000 , spacelight and kinos... 3 camera on preset white with 3200 k.... the other camera with preset ... we increased it's kelvin to 3400 to solve the color problem... and we increased master black level... to equal 4 camera ... but we didn't solve the problem... how can i solve the problem... sorry for my english... i hope u understand... thank you..

• Premium Member

If you can't solve the matching problem by white balancing tricks, then you probably need a paint box, color chart, and a vectorscope (and someone who knows how to use them like a video engineer) to adjust the camera to match the others.