Skater Dolly

David Osborne

The Skater Dolly (Skater Dolly) is a pretty good idea, and an easy way to add high production value to your project. No 300 lb. dolly to lug around, one person can operate it, you can throw it up on a table or on a board, get cool low angle shots, etc.

The only problem that I have with it is that p+s technik wants $4,000 for it. Again, yes it's a great idea and a useful tool, but it's a piece of metal with three rollerblade wheels attached to it. I'm sure it's a nice rigid piece of metal but honestly, it's a little bit absurd.

I came across the Slym Skater and it appears to be a good alternative and not at crack prices. Thank you very much to its creator. I wish I had the initiative to purchase the rollerblade wheels myself and adjoin them to some rigid material that can support a tripod head or something. I have done some research in finding rollerblade wheels but the tricky thing seems to be finding the rotating hub that the rollerblade wheels sit in; painting little hash marks for the various degree angles seems like something I could pull off.

I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives out there?

Yes I could afford to rent the p+s technik version for a hundred something dollars a day but I just can't bring myself to do it as a matter of principal.

The Skater is a high end item for a very specific precision use. For a more versatile all around item, check out the CamTram, which we offer for sale. It's an excellent design that's very versatile, a supercharged highhat on wheels. Or if you just want something very basic, look into Long Valley Equipment's platform dolly or even check willyswidgets.com to build your own.

• Premium Member

If you want a really cheap alternative just get yourself a furniture dolly. They sell them at Amazon for $24. Just screw a low-hat onto it and off you go. Off course it's not as low as the skater dolly, but it's a good start. You could even add rubber wheels for $5 a piece if you want for a smoother ride.

With the risk of being banned: Take a look at this small dolly: http://www.solidgripsystems.eu/truss_dolly2.htm

Years ago I made a dolly like this for personel-use only. Nowadays I manufacture them for everyone. I find it an easy to handle multipurpose dolly, very stable and not expensive.

My primary occupation is still grip. I post this as being a grip, not a manufacturer.

Onno Perdijk

Solid Grip

Amsterdam

Netherlands

• Premium Member
With the risk of being banned: Take a look at this small dolly: http://www.solidgripsystems.eu/truss_dolly2.htm

Onno Perdijk

Solid Grip

Amsterdam

Netherlands

Don't worry about being banned.

Your dolly seems like it would be better suited to different applications than the skater dolly. Since it's on track it would be much harder to make small changes, and freewhelling is not an option. I think it looks nice and would be a great solution for certain shots, but I don't really think you're in competition with the skater dolly.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to get a sense of the range of options out there. I originally posted because I want to get some simple, short (not moving very far) dolly shots for an upcoming shoot. The CamTram and skater type dollies are great because they don't need to be on the ground, and for a subtle 3 foot dolly move one only needs a ladder or a piece of wood or a table to act as track.

For this shoot I'm just going to put something together from materials that I already have. I'm pretty confident about my idea; I'll see if I can host my footage somewhere in case anyone is interested. Thanks again.

• 8 months later...