Fraudulent Action?

Martin Yernazian

I'd steer clear. Go ahead and contact him if you want, but it sounds like he wants to close the deal outside of ebay. If that's so, your end isn't protected against fraud. Contacting him doesn't really hurt though, but why didn't he just make it a "buy it now" auction instead?

edit: the auction was just removed. I think the ebay account was hijacked, and he didn't want you to use "ask seller a question" because then the fraudulent auction would have been noticed.

Edited by David Sweetman

• Premium Member

Martin,

You got to watch out for the multiple scams on eBay, especially with high dollar items like cameras. They are rampant.

It's a good idea to do exactly what you did this time, post a link to the auction to have others look it over. I follow the auctions on Arriflex and Aaton cameras, as I am sure others do, and I am pretty familiar with the pictures and descriptions that keep popping up over and over again. Usually they have been stolen from another auction.

For a decent LTR in Super 16 on eBay, expect to pay anywhere from $4500 to $8000. Anything below or above that range I would be suspicious of. Or you could buy a completely refurbished/rebuilt one from some place like Abel Cine Tech for something in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $13,000 that you would know was in great shape.

They are really nice cameras and if you get a good one, they are quiet as a mouse.

Good luck,

-Tim

I've gotten to the point where when somebody is posting on eBay asking me to contact them rather than bidding or using the "Buy it now" option, I assume it's fraud. There are some great deals to be had on eBay, but when it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

When I decided to buy my first 16mm camera, I looked at an old B&H 240EE in a camera store here in L.A. for $500. I then hit eBay and bought two identical cameras, plus a super-8, for $150. I resold the super-8 and effectively got to start tinkering with 16mm for the cost of film and processing. But, those cameras were bought through the proper eBay channels, which are designed to keep you from being ripped off.

Always engage brain before buying. If the deal won't be there tomorrow, it's not real.

Edited by Jim Keller