Roger Deakins, ASC / BSC

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

I noticed that Roger Deakins has a website with a forum where he answers questions. Not all that active recently (probably because he's very busy for one thing) but his answers to questions were interesting to read:

http://www.rogerdeakins.com/

It's very generous of him to take the time to answer people's questions about his work.

• Premium Member
I noticed that Roger Deakins has a website with a forum where he answers questions...............It's very generous of him to take the time to answer people's questions about his work.

Wow! Thank you David.

• Premium Member

Yes, thank you for posting that! I just read through all of the threads and had many of my own questions answered. Mr. Deakins' thoughts on working with actors and his own working process were particularly insightful. I don't blame him for not posting recently - it looks like he's very busy right now, according to IMDB. :)

A very generous gentleman.

Edited by Satsuki Murashige

It's very generous of him to take the time to answer people's questions
David, YOU are saying that?

I think most people on this forum and several other lists would say the same of you. There's no-one more so!

Still, it takes one to know one I suppose :)

• Premium Member

David,

Thank you for this post on Roger Deakins ASC,BSC. I was impressed with his use of

camera angles and he certainly portrays his own style of creative composing. I have

not seen any b&w stills quite like his. I wonder if he's using Ilford films? I've added his

website to my favorites and I want to go back and review all of his stills and his fimlology.

This would be a good source for up and coming photographers to study. Mr. Deakins is

certainly not bound to any rules of composing and he has developed his own style. I just

was overcome by the camera angles. Its a wonderful thing to be free and see creatively

through the "eye of the photographer". David thank you very much for all you do for the

forum.

Greg Gross

I'm TOO BIG a fan of Deakins to not have already known about that website! Agh!

Thanks David.

All his work is astounding...but it's his lighting in the "lesser" Coen Bros. films (Intolerable Cruelty, Ladykillers) that truly saves the day.

But it's Hudsucker Proxy & Barton Fink that cemented my belief in the man as a master of light. I aspire to achieve what he's able to do. Possibly the only DP worthy to fill Connie Hall's shoes as Sam Mendes' cinematographer of choice.

• Premium Member

I love his work in "Barton Fink". I had forgotten about that film and thanks

for bringing it up. I just cannot stop looking at his stills. I feel when I look

at his stills that here's a man who loves the camera,loves photographing.

I wonder if he has ever operated the motion film camera?

Greg Gross

• Premium Member
I wonder if he has ever operated the motion film camera?

He's sort of famous for that, operating himself, even for all of that handheld work in "Jarhead." His preferred method of operating involves using a remote head on a jib arm so he can operate from the video tap monitor next to the director. Robert Richardson, Peter Suschitsky, and Tom Sigel are known for doing their own operating too.

• Premium Member

Thanks David,

Why am I not surprised? This cinematographer is a photographer's photographer.

I simply cannot remember the last time that I have been so moved by b&w stills.

My eye attaches itself to his stills and I cannot stop looking at them. Its such a br-

eath of fresh air to see individual style instead of seeing another photographer's

style copied. He simply is not afraid to use camera angles that others would say

are breaking the rules. I do not mean to detract from his filmology as it certainly

speaks for itself.

Greg Gross