free music video for major label band :)

Alex Haspel

hi

i participated at this "i dig incubus" music video contest with some friends..

this is a contest where fans make the band a music video for free,

with provided greenscreen material of the band, or self shot material, or both.

this is our contestant:

and here are the others:

http://youtube.com/groups_layout?name=idigincubus

the budget was a few hundred bucks, i got an easyrig and remote focus for barely

nothing from a befriended steadicam operator, the camera for free from a befriended

production company and the rest was spent on lights.

the main shot in the flat was a long one, 4:20 trough the whole song and flat.

it was supposed to look handheld, since it would have a more voyeristic

feel to it. but unfortunately my back was hurting terrible that time because i

must have had a pulled muscle or something, so the shot is sometimes shakier than i

wanted it to be. if you listen real closely you can still hear me screaming in pain

as the camera goes up from the polaroids on the floor ;)

we shot on the 4th, 5th and 7th of january and had quite a rushed postproduction

since we had to send it off on the 12th in order to arrive in the us in time.

so there are still some rough edges in it compositing wise, but nothing too tragic

as i think.

looking forward to opinions,

alex

oh, and here are some pictures from shooting..

P1072846.jpg

P1042798.jpg

P1042779.jpg

P1042783.jpg

P1072851.jpg

Edited by Alex Haspel

you tracked your footage within all the photos VERY WELL!

what software did u use?

what method did u use?

I find tracking probably the hardest thing to accomplish, especially

when the camera is really moving.

I liked the video and the concept.

cheers

I Like the concept and love the camera work (the shakiness too).

The handheld and shakiness gave it a "home-video" look creating the prefect atmosphere for the video, a feeling of intimate reminisce over old moments with a photo album.

Very good work compositing the images in too...

A drawback, in my opinion, is that you stayed for too long over the pictures sometimes. You probably wanted to make us take a good look at what is happening inside the photo, the problem is that the action inside wasnt dramtic or meaningful enough for me. i just wanted you to move along to the other pictures so i can continue see the story unfolding.

Good work anyway.

you tracked your footage within all the photos VERY WELL!

what software did u use?

what method did u use?

I find tracking probably the hardest thing to accomplish, especially

when the camera is really moving.

i honestly don't know how the tracking was exactly acomplished.

as far as i know, our postproduction wizards used some

3d program to do a 3 dimensional tracking if i understood this right.

I liked the video and the concept.

cheers

thanks a lot! i even was a bit involved in the concept this time.

the (first time) director wanted to it all with polaroids and it was my idea

to put band in tv sets, a magazine and a flyer instead.

(i'm tapping my shoulder right now :) )

I Like the concept and love the camera work (the shakiness too).

i'm really glad to hear that. makes it was worth the pain !

A drawback, in my opinion, is that you stayed for too long over the pictures sometimes. You probably wanted to make us take a good look at what is happening inside the photo, the problem is that the action inside wasnt dramtic or meaningful enough for me. i just wanted you to move along to the other pictures so i can continue see the story unfolding.

Good work anyway.

you're absolutely right with your ciritique. the camera stays too long on some of the polaroids.

but we decided to not move the camera or do cut's within the polaroids, since the photo-feeling

would most likely have been lost. some things like her sitting around sadly or the mirror thing

for example should have been split into more shots and more polaroids, but then the postpro

would have been significantly longer and we most like would'nt have made it in time.

actually the fedex guy was already waiting in our hallway as we exported the master :) !!

peter and sebastian already did wonders even without any more polaroids to track and key,

they did the whole postproduction in 4 days!

Edited by Alex Haspel

Impressive Alex! Congrats to your team and you. That's def a portfolio keeper ;) And Incubus no less!

Like Nadav Hekselman, I'd love to know what camera that was, and the software would have been great to know as well.

I liked the last shots of the video - the couch, the couple, the picture. Nice. :)

BTW,

What gear did you use? for lights? camera? lens?

Yeah, I think this is its only drawback as well. Still, very well done and excellent use of the provided green screen footage :)
Impressive Alex! Congrats to your team and you. That's def a portfolio keeper ;) And Incubus no less!

Like Nadav Hekselman, I'd love to know what camera that was, and the software would have been great to know as well.

I liked the last shots of the video - the couch, the couple, the picture. Nice. :)

thanks a lot guys.

the camera was an older sony 2/3" dvcam one, DXC D30P i think.

and the lens was an also older fujinon 5,5 - 47mm eng lens equipped with a bartech follow focus device and an m1 motor.

lighting wise it was (chronological)

.)a 2ft two bank on a polecat rigged at the ceiling, at the door, where he enters the flat

.)the tablelamp practical (slightly ND'ed)on the table, where the first two polaroids are lying

.)a dedo for the polaroids lying on the kitchen floor

.)another 2ft twobank rigged above the first tv set with a polecat

.)2 300w tungsten pars from above in the hallway through small frames with half diffusion, some nd and CTB i think. (to bee seen above, in picture number 3)

.)one 500w rifa light for the magazine, polaroid beswides it and the table. and also a dedo kicker for the table.

.)another 2ft zwobank for the last 3 polaroids on the floor, just before she gets the camera

.)and another 500w rifalight and a dedo kicker from the left for the couple sitting on the couch.

and as for the software used for tracking, i'll ask the postpro guys, since i really don't have a clue about those things :)

thanks again,

bye

Edited by Alex Haspel