Proper usage of a LensPen

Hey, I've recently purchased a Lens Pen, and I as wondering exactly when and where it is appropriate to use it. I've noticed there is a brush on one end and a small chamois bit at the other. What are the uses for each?

Also, what are the risks with using one?

Thank you,

JSV

• Premium Member
Hey, I've recently purchased a Lens Pen, and I as wondering exactly when and where it is appropriate to use it. I've noticed there is a brush on one end and a small chamois bit at the other. What are the uses for each?

Also, what are the risks with using one?

Thank you,

JSV

I can't find a decent use for the chamois end. it gets filthy in no time. The brush end is nice for loose dust on a lens.

The only thing I use the padded side for is cleaning the viewfinder glass. Do yourself a favor and get a static-free brush and a microfiber cloth instead. Your un-scratched lenses will thank you.

I've used the padded side to clean dry-erase follow focus marks off the lucite wheel in pinch.

I have two of these things and I think they're sort of useless- maybe you ended up with

one of mine (?)- enjoy. The brush end looks to be a stiffer synthetic which, as you suggest,

could do more damage than a softer natural fibre. I have found the lens pen very handy for

wedging into self-locking fire doors, when ducking out for a quick smoke.

- MJ

maybe you ended up with one of mine (?)- enjoy.

Hmmm. Probably. I think its in the box marked "Jeff's Stuff" that keeps getting filled with random goodies (Kidding! Sort of. I still owe you that microfibre I promised on the last shoot...).

My biggest problem with LensPens is that they tend to lose bristles easily, which find a home on the edge of the glass. In fact, I think the pad fell off mine while I was cleaning a lens with it years ago...

Good call with the FF wheel though. I'm still using my thumb like a caveman.