Comparative Arri D20 and Dalsa camera

josé gerel

• Premium Member

Do you really want to start that argument here again?

How 'bout we leave it at the Dalsa has an 8MP Bayer-filtered sensor and the Arri D-20 has something smaller in pixel count (not sure, but I think it's around 6MP?) But you also have to factor in that the Dalsa chip is roughly 2x1 and the Arri-D20 chip is 4x3 in terms of area you'll likely be using for different formats. See:

http://www.arri.com/news/newsletter/articl...9211103/d20.htm

Hello,

what think of the camera Arri D20 and Dalsa, which difference major between these 2 cameras for you and use them much with the US one.

Thank you.

Jose.

José - the D20 is a very nice HD which is over sampled in the sensor from a Super 35 CMOS sensor. I've looked at your work and think you will like the feel of , the D-20 or the Dalsa. Haven't done any extensive analysis or testing with the D20.

The Dalsa is a 4K camera with a similar size sensor. The first 4K data I had from the Dalsa had a little noise at the bottom end but nothing I couldn't remove with post ingest processing algorithms I have written for other applications. I suspect this problem has been resolved. Just remember, you need to have the workflow and computing power (capture and render farm if you have effects) when you are working frame sizes this large.

Both uses the same lenses as 35 mm film cameras and you'll have the same depth of field as 35 mm film you are used to working with.

We are working with another camera coming out of development at the moment which we will use if this past Friday's tests hold up and we can have it ready for a April shoot. Otherwise we will probably try to use the Dalsa.

Don't know what you application for the camera is so I can't be more specific.

Lance Flores

• Premium Member
We are working with another camera coming out of development at the moment which we will use if this past Friday's tests hold up and we can have it ready for a April shoot. Otherwise we will probably try to use the Dalsa.

Which camera would that be if you don't mind telling?

Which camera would that be if you don't mind telling?

Sorry Max for the delayed response - been busy with Exec Producers and getting actor commitments and all that #&^4^, that goes along with it. I thought I had already answered your question in another forum. We're working with Vision Research and trying to get their Phantom 65 ready for this next shoot. I think you know we were doing testing on their 2K HD, the Phantom HD, back in December. If you recall that was when we were discussing the 70mm lenses. I followed on your suggestions but it eventually led us to have the lens 70mm lens sets made for the 65mm sensor.

Edited by Lance Flores