Sekonic L-758Cine

I was wondering if any here own a Sekonic L-758Cine light meter. For some reason it isn't listed as a product on the Sekonic homepage (www.sekonic.com), it does however appear on the Sekonic UK website (www.sekonic.co.uk). I'm a little confused as to why this is. I googled it and most responses appear to be asian websites.

I'm going to be purchasing a light meter very soon. Most people I know have the L-558Cine and I'm leaning very much towards it. However the L-758Cine also appears (buying from eBay ... it's new). I'm a little worried about being scammed or there maybe being issues with the meter and that's why it doesn't have a wider release.

Ultimately the new features are more for digital cameras, but as long as I'm buying I might as well get the newest model. Any information is appreciated.

• Premium Member

No scam. It's a real meter by Sekonic. I found it on their U.S. website no problem. Looks like you'll pay a little bit more for some cool digital camera stuff that you may or may not ever use. It's specifically design for still photographers. The 558 is their model specifically designed for film and video workers. I agree though; those ebay prices are eerily low... mmm...

hey guys, i just bought the Sekonic L758 cine meter yesterday. I've been playing around with it all yesterday and today. From what i can see it's a very smart meter, and it takes a while to get used to all the functions. All in all, i feel that it's a great meter.

Ken Minehan

No scam. It's a real meter by Sekonic. I found it on their U.S. website no problem. Looks like you'll pay a little bit more for some cool digital camera stuff that you may or may not ever use. It's specifically design for still photographers. The 558 is their model specifically designed for film and video workers. I agree though; those ebay prices are eerily low... mmm...

That's the 758DR you found on Sekonic's website 758Cine is no where to be found on their webiste.

I just bought th L-758C through ebay, $AU635 from Hong Kong. The same supplier now sells the 558 about $200 cheaper. I emailed Sekonic USA and they are expecting a US release in coming weeks.

Basic functions are comparable to the 558. I haven't got my head around it's exposure profiling system yet, but it seems it might be useful to calibrate the meter to a video camera or telecine.

The Sekonic software is limited to working with 8bit luma values, based on the green channel. It would also be kind of cool if the software could analise a greyscale directly from an image. At the moment you have to get the values in Photoshop (or similar) and enter them manually into a table.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

I purchased few weeks ago the Sekonic L 758. 400 euros in HK by Ebay, not so expensive.

I tried to compare it with my Minolta Autometer VF and I came to this conclusion:

If I calibrate the L758 in daylight with my Minolta, I am 1/2 stop overexposed with the l758 in artificial light compared to the Minolta.

The two lightmeters have an important difference of chromatic sensitivity and I don't know whichone is right. Exept for this: I use the Minolta since several years without any trouble. Am I alone coming to such a conclusion or anyone else experiment that already ????

The only answer is to print keylight tests. If I do, I will publish on the forum my conclusions.

mac-on-campus.com

official sekonic partnership with student discounts. i had a 508 and i upgraded to the 758cine. it has a boat load of functions. I do both photography and cine stuff and it cost about $590 after taxes.

the model is real and exists and it's new, real real new. i've called sekonic to find this out for sure and they reassured me it's legit.

I just bought th L-758C through ebay, $AU635 from Hong Kong. The same supplier now sells the 558 about $200 cheaper. I emailed Sekonic USA and they are expecting a US release in coming weeks.

Basic functions are comparable to the 558. I haven't got my head around it's exposure profiling system yet, but it seems it might be useful to calibrate the meter to a video camera or telecine.

The Sekonic software is limited to working with 8bit luma values, based on the green channel. It would also be kind of cool if the software could analise a greyscale directly from an image. At the moment you have to get the values in Photoshop (or similar) and enter them manually into a table.

Daniel

i'm having a hard time with the software. did you use a mac or pc?