2.35:1 ground glass option for SR2 S16?

stephen lamb

Hey,

I am prepping to shoot a small film in which the director and I would like to shoot with a 2.35:1 ratio in super16 on an SR2. Does anyone know if there are groundglasses out there that will work in this camera for this aspect ratio? Willing to rent or even buy if not too pricey (no idea about the costs involved here). I suppose i could always take the glass out myself and tape on some lines....but that seems a little sketch and I don't want to mess up! I've looked on Arri's website, but can't seem to find anything to do with groundglasses other than for their current 35mm cameras. Thanks in advance for your help!

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

They do make groundglasses up at Arri but they're very pricey, I'm talking up and over $1000.

I have often done a good clean job of taping the gg at the matks. Some people want opaque, others translucent...colored markers work wonders.

If you want a more professional job, and don't mind waiting a month or 3, then Shurco is the place for photo-engraving at much better prices than Arri. Shurco 626-966-8606.

Cheers, Bernie

• Premium Member
Hey,

I am prepping to shoot a small film in which the director and I would like to shoot with a 2.35:1 ratio in super16 on an SR2. Does anyone know if there are groundglasses out there that will work in this camera for this aspect ratio? Willing to rent or even buy if not too pricey (no idea about the costs involved here). I suppose i could always take the glass out myself and tape on some lines....but that seems a little sketch and I don't want to mess up! I've looked on Arri's website, but can't seem to find anything to do with groundglasses other than for their current 35mm cameras. Thanks in advance for your help!

ARRI sells a number of different fibre optic screens for the SR3 which (from what my sources tell me) fit the SR1 and SRII. Unfortunately they are $1500 and up, and none of them are 2.35:1.

I have had good luck taping off the fibre optic screen on the SR1 I used to own. Get yourself a roll of 3M Scotch Brand Magic Tape and a Hirschman's Forceps. Make yourself a 2.35:1 chart to hang on a wall, point the camera at it, and zoom in till the right and left edges of the 2.35:1 image touch the right and left edges of the viewing screen. Now study where the 2.35:1 image falls on the fibre optics screen, maybe make yourself a little sketch. Then carefully take the fibre optics screen out of the camera with the Hirschman's forceps and carefully tape the top and bottom of the frame to match your sketch. Put the tape on the flat side of the screen, not the ribbed side. Be very careful so as to not scratch the screen. Put the screen back into the camera (making sure you have it all the way in until it snaps) and focus on the chart. You may have to repeat this procedure a few times to get the tape in the exact right spot. When you finish the shoot, remove the tape. If there is any residue left on the screen, remove it with a fresh piece of tape (placing it over the screen and lifting it off, the residue should lift with the tape).

Take your time doing this, and be careful removing and reinserting the screen.

The other advantage to taping of the screen this way is that you can still see somewhat of an image through the Scotch Magic Tape so that you can protect the whole Super 16 frame from light units or microphones.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

Thanks for the input guys, Tim thank you for specific instructions regarding the taping of the groundglass. I think this is probably what I will end up doing, and doesn't sound like too painful of an operation, albeit a careful one no doubt. Thanks again!

Steve

ARRI sells a number of different fibre optic screens for the SR3 which (from what my sources tell me) fit the SR1 and SRII. Unfortunately they are $1500 and up, and none of them are 2.35:1.

I have had good luck taping off the fibre optic screen on the SR1 I used to own. Get yourself a roll of 3M Scotch Brand Magic Tape and a Hirschman's Forceps. Make yourself a 2.35:1 chart to hang on a wall, point the camera at it, and zoom in till the right and left edges of the 2.35:1 image touch the right and left edges of the viewing screen. Now study where the 2.35:1 image falls on the fibre optics screen, maybe make yourself a little sketch. Then carefully take the fibre optics screen out of the camera with the Hirschman's forceps and carefully tape the top and bottom of the frame to match your sketch. Put the tape on the flat side of the screen, not the ribbed side. Be very careful so as to not scratch the screen. Put the screen back into the camera (making sure you have it all the way in until it snaps) and focus on the chart. You may have to repeat this procedure a few times to get the tape in the exact right spot. When you finish the shoot, remove the tape. If there is any residue left on the screen, remove it with a fresh piece of tape (placing it over the screen and lifting it off, the residue should lift with the tape).

Take your time doing this, and be careful removing and reinserting the screen.

The other advantage to taping of the screen this way is that you can still see somewhat of an image through the Scotch Magic Tape so that you can protect the whole Super 16 frame from light units or microphones.

Hope that helps,

-Tim