Editing a reel

Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member

Hi,

So I'm in the process of putting together my reel, and I'd like to include some 24PN 720p DVCPRO HD footage that I shot on my last two shorts. My other footage is 16mm transferred to miniDV, which I can edit just fine at home on Premier Pro 1.5. I guess I'd have to downconvert the 24PN footage to DV with a 2:3 pulldown to incorporate it into the timeline, but is that all I'm missing? Are there any tips for doing this kind of thing?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Is Premiere Pro 1.5 able to handle 720p? I'm unfamiliar with it, strict FCP user myself :)

Nope, it only does standard def., NTSC 60i, 24P, 24PA, and PAL. Looks like I have to get Premiere Pro 2.0 to edit HD. That's a whole other issue, though.

I guess my real question is, how do you guys incorporate footage from various video sources (DV, DVCPRO 50, DVCPROHD, DVCAM, HDCAM, etc.) into your reel? Do you just dub it all down to the lowest common denominator, quality-wise (DV)? Or do you pick the highest quality format, and transfer everything to that, even if it's only for DVD? And what aspect ratio do you use? Letterbox? Pillarbox? Is this a stupid question? :huh:

Do you just dub it all down to the lowest common denominator, quality-wise (DV)? Or do you pick the highest quality format, and transfer everything to that, even if it's only for DVD? And what aspect ratio do you use? Letterbox? Pillarbox? Is this a stupid question? :huh:

Personally I'd try and keep the footage quality as high as possible, if DV is your lowest denominator - you could be degrading the look of your higher grade stuff in the reel (HD, digi-beta, film). Sometimes mixed sources can give bits of your reel, a bit of texture and variation - make a feature of it.

As far aspect ratio goes, I would keep everthing in its orginal aspect ratio and just go with either an anamorphic 16:9 project or a 4:3 project and ARC the shots to fit the format. eg letterbox your 1.85 shots on an anamorphic project or pillorbox your 4:3 shots on a 16:9 anamorphic project.

As far as the choice between 4:3 and 16:9 projects depends on what the majority of your footage is. Most of my stuff is 16:9 anamorphic - so thats the format of my reel and then I have the odd shot in 4:3 pillorbox, and 2.35:1 letterbox - but the geometry is anamorphic - but for VHS copies I keep everything in 4:3 letterbox. That said I would probably keep everything SD at this stage as a HD edit would cost more and it would be unlikly people would view your reel in HD - if your distributing it on DVD/VHS

As long as the cuts between ratios arn't too jaring, people won't mind mixed ratios and formats.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Premiere has had a maximum frame size of 4k by 4k since about version 2 - Pro 1.5 is certainly capable of loading up your footage, assuming it's in a sensible format (where MXF is not a sensible format) and you have the right codecs available.

As for "it only does standard def," drivel! I was editing 1080/24p HD on Premiere this afternoon with nothing more exotic than the appropriate I/O hardware. Out of the box, Pro 1.5 came set up for PAL, NTSC and HDV, but it'll load and edit anything you have codecs for.

prem_1080p.jpg

Phil

• Premium Member

Ah, I stand corrected! Thank you, Phil. My project's editing mode was set for "DV Playback," rather than "Video for Windows." I'll try not to spout any more unsubstantiated drivel.:)

Phil C., thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Again, thanks very much you guys.