OGly 10 b&w film stock

Dear all,

I decided recently that the ultimate DIY thing to do in filming would be to do my own film stock... the OGly 10 (Orthochromatic Ugly Film Emulsion iso 10) to then play with the sensitivity, grain etc. I had a few problems with the gelatin consistency but this appear to be improving by the addition of sorbitol. Thanks to the helping hand of the people at the www.apug.org forum, I got the emulsion now with more flexibility than I had before. I will now work on increasing the sensitivity (right now, iso 10) and later work on a coating machine (as coating 30m of acetate, does not sound fun). Anyway, I am showing one of the frames that survived when traveling through the spools and threads of a konvas 1m (there was a lot of emulsion shredded as I didn't use the flexible emulsion). Once I get a nice and soft emulsion with (at least) iso 30 I'll post the recipe. Anyway, here is the frame:

Foto1.jpg

Wait a minute, you made the film stock? coated clear leader with emulsion ? That is truly mas macho. Tell me more....

Matt Uhry

www.fuzby.com

Exactly... It started by putting a silver ring on a beaker with nitric acid = Silver nitrate, then slowly dropping silver nitrate onto potassium bromide (on a safe light), then, soaking gelatin... Then I actually washed away the emulsion of an old film (with a hard brush) as I could not get clear leader here in Australia (at least not cheaper than the same footage of film stock). Then I used a brush to spread the gelatin on the acetate. It got very irregular as I did not use any surfactant (to spread it evenly). Once I get a good emulsion I'll build a heated compressed air system that I could just coat larger quantities of leader. Cheers.

richard

Sweet. Post more info as it becomes available, have you tried doing stills with it yet?

I will try today with a new batch (that's much more flexible), however, I think I'll only try 1/30 and 1/60 as that would be 24 or 16fps. I have also ordered a tinny bit of panchromatic dye to see if I get some pan sensitivity (the PanGly)

cheers

That is serious rock and roll! I as well am very curious to hear more about your experiments.

What is the approximate ASA of your film stock?

Again hat's off and good luck!

I guess the first batch was about iso 10. But the second batch, that I did in a much more controlled environment... I would say 20. And now it's very flexible and I'll try in 16mm once I get my clear leader. The only thing I don't understand is why silver is becoming so expensive. As everybody says that film is dying... Where all the silver is going to? Thanks for the comments though.

yeah right on, that's the hell of a nice idea!!!

don't know the price but here you get clear leader http://www.filmotec.de/English_Site/Produc...3_e/lf_3_e.html

cheers, Bernhard

Thanks Bernhard,

I've got some leader from ebay to start with and I am also doing now a 'coating' machine. Keep you guys posted anyway. Cheers