editing for cameramen

Hello

what is a good book to understand editing and the possiblilities it offers a cameramen. I am in the middle of understanding the basics of cinematography. But id like to know how to shoot with the edit in mind. My intrest is in advertisements like the american express (animals) ad by big sky effects. I saw the making of it. How do they work what plates need to be shot?

Please help!!

Quinten

An older book, but "The Technique of Film Editing" by Karl Reisz, Gavin Millar is a good starting point.

Editing is the unique part of film & TV production, so I feel that it's something that camera people should understand. Also knowing how a story works and is structured is a great help, so you can work out the beats within the scene. Often advertisements are heavily storyboarded, so these elements are worked out at the scripting and pre-producton stages.

Also, "On Film Editing" by Edward Dmytryk.

There are a number of books about editing software, so you'd buy ones that cover the NLE you're going to use.

However, once you've learnt some theory the best way is to do some editing.

Thanks for the info Brian.

I will look out for the books you mentioned. I also bought The cutting edge documentary. It was really good. Have you seen the american express advertisement that i was referring to?

Another question please. If i was shooting clouds rolling across the sky at 6 fps, i would expose at 2 stops down?

Thank you

Quinten

Student

Thanks for the info Brian.

I will look out for the books you mentioned. I also bought The cutting edge documentary. It was really good. Have you seen the american express advertisement that i was referring to?

Another question please. If i was shooting clouds rolling across the sky at 6 fps, i would expose at 2 stops down?

Thank you

Quinten

Student

Yes, you'd stop down 2 stops from the 24fps setting. However, unless it's a very windy day, you may find this this isn't enough for a good cloud effect, so you may have to try some single frame time lapse.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the American Express commercial.

Hello

what is a good book to understand editing and the possiblilities it offers a cameramen. I am in the middle of understanding the basics of cinematography. But id like to know how to shoot with the edit in mind. My intrest is in advertisements like the american express (animals) ad by big sky effects. I saw the making of it. How do they work what plates need to be shot?

Please help!!

Quinten

Hi!

buy this book

http://www.amazon.com/Grammar-Film-Languag...TF8&s=books

its one of the best!! and the writer was a film editor in Hollywood in the 60's-80's

bye!

Treegan