PL mount, Bayonet mount, tie down

william koon

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand what you mean by "tie down".

Both the Bayonet and the PL mount were developed by Arri; bayonet was designed to more securely hold a lens than the Arri standard mount, and the PL mount was designed to hold newer, heavier lenses more securely than the bayonet mount.

In the pro world, the PL mount tends to dominate cameras/lenses outside of Panavision (who have their own mount).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_bayonet and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_PL for more info.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand what you mean by "tie down".

Both the Bayonet and the PL mount were developed by Arri; bayonet was designed to more securely hold a lens than the Arri standard mount, and the PL mount was designed to hold newer, heavier lenses more securely than the bayonet mount.

In the pro world, the PL mount tends to dominate cameras/lenses outside of Panavision (who have their own mount).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_bayonet and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_PL for more info.

Thx Jon kukla. I got a rough idea from your help. Wonder if you can show me some pictures. Anyway, I too don't understand what 'tie down' is. I got it from a list of equipment provided by grip renting store.

Here is a picture of a PL mount adapter, which shows you the basic design.

It's composed of a four-pronged flange, of which at least one will have a notch in the middle. I've seen one, two, and four notched PLs. Four is of course the most versatile, since you have that many different positions to mount the lens, depending on your requirements or tastes. Most modern lenses have four notches. The PL mount of the camera will have a small locating pin 45 degrees clockwise of the 12 o'clock position, which you need to align one of the notches to in order to seat the lens. This means that the flange prongs mount at a 45 degree angle to the normal X-Y axis.

I unfortunately couldn't find a good picture of a PV mount lens, but it's simple to describe. It is also a four-pronged flange, but instead of notches it has a single locating pin protruding out of one of the flange prongs. The PV camera mount seating has a single hole directly below the lens port to which this fits. Therefore the PV mount prongs are oriented like a standard X-Y axis. This design is intentional in order to make it impossible to seat an anamorphic lens at the wrong angle. The PL mount is more flexible than the PV, largely by virtue of most PL lenses being spherical, and thus will give the same image at any angle of axial rotation.

The other major differences are the flange diameter and the flange focal depth.

Here is a picture of a PL mount adapter, which shows you the basic design.

It's composed of a four-pronged flange, of which at least one will have a notch in the middle. I've seen one, two, and four notched PLs. Four is of course the most versatile, since you have that many different positions to mount the lens, depending on your requirements or tastes. Most modern lenses have four notches. The PL mount of the camera will have a small locating pin 45 degrees clockwise of the 12 o'clock position, which you need to align one of the notches to in order to seat the lens. This means that the flange prongs mount at a 45 degree angle to the normal X-Y axis.

I unfortunately couldn't find a good picture of a PV mount lens, but it's simple to describe. It is also a four-pronged flange, but instead of notches it has a single locating pin protruding out of one of the flange prongs. The PV camera mount seating has a single hole directly below the lens port to which this fits. Therefore the PV mount prongs are oriented like a standard X-Y axis. This design is intentional in order to make it impossible to seat an anamorphic lens at the wrong angle. The PL mount is more flexible than the PV, largely by virtue of most PL lenses being spherical, and thus will give the same image at any angle of axial rotation.

The other major differences are the flange diameter and the flange focal depth.

Hi Jon Kukla,

Thank you so much for the trouble to post the picture. I got it and cheers