Pelican for travel

lucas Loureiro

• Premium Member
I am planning to travel at the end on this month and to shoot some stock footage.

I own an Aaton III, which weighs about 16 lbs.

Is it possible to take it onboard with me and what is the limit of a case to be taken

as a carry on???

This is gonna sound crazy, but I would consider leaving one day earlier then planned, and see what happens. If you are not getting a satisfactory result, you still have a day to figure something else out, assuming you can postpone your ticket to the next day. You can try getting to the airport really early, like three hours early, and that may give enough time to see what will happen. I actually went ahead of schedule to see how I would be treated the actual day of my flight, and NO ONE would commit to a position. It seems all that really matters is when you actually go to leave and who is behind the counter and how they interpret the rules and regulations.

I had a mind numbing experience several years ago. All I'll say is if you decide to buy an extra ticket, it might not do you any good because each ticket holder gets to carry on one or two items, but the ticket dedicated to your camera won't give you any extra carry on luggage. Since the camera, as the named ticket holder, cannot walk nor carry on luggage, the only advantage in having the extra ticket is YOU can carry the camera on, just don't expect to get the per ticket allocation of walk on luggage for your ticketed camera, you probably won't get it.

• Premium Member

The 1500 is great for travel. I've taken larger but it's always an issue. If you have a camera in there and you can prove to them that its very delicate, and you don't mind waiting extra long in security while they check it all by hand and put everything through the chemical sniffer then you might be able to get away with the 1550 (I think thats the model)