Urgent - K3 fps dial is acting crazy!

Patrick Cooper

I am about to leave for Kangaroo Island tomorrow morning and I am bringing with me several still cameras (35mm and medium format) and the Krasnogorsk 3. Ive just ordered some Fuji Eterna 250D and this will be the first time that i will be exposing negative movie film.

However, I was playing around with the speed dial on the K3 just then - with no film loaded - and something really bizarre happened. Usually, the dial stops at the line below the 8fps marking. This time, however, the dial rotated well past that line into the region where it says 'fps' without any inclination to stop. The dial has never, ever done this before. I rotated the dial back into the 'normal region.' Now forgive me if I'm being extremely paranoid but would there be any possibility that the dot markings for the individual frame rates would no longer be accurate - or am I worrying over nothing? There's no way I can test this for sure as I am leaving for the island tomorrow morning. I ran the camera at 24fps and it sounds roughly like the same sound it makes when I usually run it at 24ps - but hard to really know for sure 100%.

Have other K3 users rotated the dial to extreme positions ? both well past the 48 and 8 fps markings but found that afterwards when viewing the results that footage shot at 24fps still looks normal ? not too fast or too slow? I hope I?m worrying over nothing.

I am about to leave for Kangaroo Island tomorrow morning and I am bringing with me several still cameras (35mm and medium format) and the Krasnogorsk 3. Ive just ordered some Fuji Eterna 250D and this will be the first time that i will be exposing negative movie film.

However, I was playing around with the speed dial on the K3 just then - with no film loaded - and something really bizarre happened. Usually, the dial stops at the line below the 8fps marking. This time, however, the dial rotated well past that line into the region where it says 'fps' without any inclination to stop. The dial has never, ever done this before. I rotated the dial back into the 'normal region.' Now forgive me if I'm being extremely paranoid but would there be any possibility that the dot markings for the individual frame rates would no longer be accurate - or am I worrying over nothing? There's no way I can test this for sure as I am leaving for the island tomorrow morning. I ran the camera at 24fps and it sounds roughly like the same sound it makes when I usually run it at 24ps - but hard to really know for sure 100%.

Have other K3 users rotated the dial to extreme positions ? both well past the 48 and 8 fps markings but found that afterwards when viewing the results that footage shot at 24fps still looks normal ? not too fast or too slow? I hope I?m worrying over nothing.

Not a problem. You can not damage the camera by doing that.

The only thing I might not do with a K3 is run it without film for a long period of time at 48fps.

Other than that, the camera is pretty bulletproof.

SC

If you need, I can send you picture of module of speed control inside of K-3.

The disk with marks of speed have cam.

The cam to press on plate with spring from one side and pins of brake from other side

If you turn of disk with marks of speeds ( install of speed ), the cam to turn and plate will move and the pin of brake will set on other position.

The gap will change between brake disk of block of inertia speed control and pins of brake.

That's why, the block of speed control will have other speed of rotation and The camera will have other speed too.

If you can turn of disk of speed setting on full turn, this is not problem.

I can tell you simply test for adjust of speed of camera.

You need computer with monitor. The video adapter of computer can change of frequency scan of monitor.

You need set frequency divisible of 24 fps, this can be 72 Hz, 120 Hz.

You need start up of camera and see of screen of monitor on ground glass of camera.

If the speed will 24 fps, the line of frame scan will have a fixed position on the screen.

• Premium Member

Why not thread a roll of leader, or scrap film in the camera. Draw a line with a marker on the film even with some part of the camera like the gate, and shoot for exactly 10 seconds. draw another line on the film at the same spot on the camera. your lines should be 240 frames apart.