Sound Equipment

Federico Casal

Hi.

Maybe this isn't the right section for the topic but well...

I'm going to shoot my films on a Krasnogorsk 3 camera, and since it's a silent camera, I was wondering how could I record sound. And since I will edit it on my computer, I was thinking maybe of a mp3 voice recorder with a microphone strapped to the camera. Something that can record digital sound, or maybe magnetic tape and then digitalize it.

Any of you guys have a more creative and possibly cheaper idea? Does my idea work? Thank you.

• Premium Member

I have used a MiniDisc recorder to record sound digitally and then downloaded the digital files into the computer for editing. I would highly recommend not attaching the microphone to the camera. Even if you think the camera you are using it silent, attaching a microphone to it will greatly amplify any sound it makes. Use a boom pole and get the microphone as close to the talent (or whatever it is you are shooting) as possible while still keeping the microphone out of the shot.

You could also use a DAT recorder, or one of the new hard disk recorders.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

I have used a MiniDisc recorder to record sound digitally and then downloaded the digital files into the computer for editing. I would highly recommend not attaching the microphone to the camera. Even if you think the camera you are using it silent, attaching a microphone to it will greatly amplify any sound it makes. Use a boom pole and get the microphone as close to the talent (or whatever it is you are shooting) as possible while still keeping the microphone out of the shot.

You could also use a DAT recorder, or one of the new hard disk recorders.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

Thanks!

There are a couple of non-expensive recorders on the market nowadays. First, the Zoom H4 handy recorder that records on wav files on SD cards. A little bit more expensive is the Marantz PMD-660 and it records on CompactFlash cards. They both have phantom power and you eliminate de hassle of transferring by copying files directly on the computer. Hope it helps!

... and since it's a silent camera, I was wondering how could I record sound. And since I will edit it on my computer, I was thinking maybe of a mp3 voice recorder with a microphone strapped to the camera. Something that can record digital sound, or maybe magnetic tape and then digitalize it.

Any of you guys have a more creative and possibly cheaper idea? Does my idea work? Thank you.

I devised a very cheap method for Super8 users to keep the Sound 'starts and stops' synchronized to the Film Reel. Just Click the Weblink in my Signature below. It's also available through the "Sound" Forum.

Your camera being called "silent" means it doesn't record sound.

It's a noisy camera, MUCH too noisy to have the microphone anywhere near the camera.

For low budget stuff, a MiniDisc recorder is great. I use a Sony, and it's great, it's small, and it's easy to use.

MP