loading the Eclair ACL

marc barbé

The Eclair ACL 1,5 user's manual says film can be loaded emulsion out or emulsion in indifferently, just as long as the film enters the first two rollers of the mag emusion out. Does this mean you can just twist the film before sliding it between the rollers? Wouldn't that create a tension problem and endanger proper registration?

Marc Barbé.

• Premium Member
The Eclair ACL 1,5 user's manual says film can be loaded emulsion out or emulsion in indifferently, just as long as the film enters the first two rollers of the mag emusion out. Does this mean you can just twist the film before sliding it between the rollers? Wouldn't that create a tension problem and endanger proper registration?

Marc Barbé.

do they perhaps mean that you put the roll in and the film comes off the left or the right depemding if it is Ei or EO. Winding film emusion out seems to be a european idea.

do they perhaps mean that you put the roll in and the film comes off the left or the right depemding if it is Ei or EO. Winding film emusion out seems to be a european idea.

That's what I've done -- just load the roll accordingly with the film coming off the roll clockwise or counterclockwise depending on where the emulsion needs to be when it arrives on the other side. That seems a lot less dangerous than putting a twist somewhere in the film path.

• Premium Member

[You got it right. No twisting and shouting involved. The bottom line is to ensure that when the film comes through to the front of the pressure plate, it is emulsion out.

Does not matter if it's a 9 shape or a 6 shape in the feed side.

Without twisting the film, ask yourself "Which way do I have to place the roll on this feed side, so that the film emulsion is facing out when it goes through to the pressure plate". Then continue to the bottom of the pressure plate and push through to the take-up side. The film continues without twisting onto the take-up core.

Marc asked about loading the Eclair ACL. My answer was specific to that camera only,

Thank you, Bernie. Somehow I thought loading the film clockwise might be a problem (lack of imagination on my part, I guess, or too much of it...)

Regards,

Marc.